jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What kind of hand signals can i use to communicate with my dog? :P

1. profile image50
    Blazerboyposted 6 years ago

What kind of hand signals can i use to communicate with my dog? tongue

2. alley11 profile image57
    alley11posted 6 years ago

Sit- index finger extended, point up at the air in the dogs direction, and drop your finger without moving your hand.
    Stay- Palm up and out towards the dog.
    Spin- Using your whole arm, make a circular motion around the dog.

3. profile image50
    Blazerboyposted 6 years ago

Thnx SOO much! Can't wait to try them with my pup!

4. kblover profile image92
    kbloverposted 6 years ago

Basically, you can use whatever you want.

Any signal you want to use can be paired to a behavior. If there's an existing signal (including verbal), you can teach a hand signal by giving the hand signal first and saying your verbal at the same time.

For example, when I taught Wally that my palm facing down and moving down to the ground equaled "drop" (lie down), I gave the hand signal, then the verbal "drop" and rewarded when he did the behavior.

You can also try luring to develop some hand signals. To use the previous example, I could have lured Wally to lie down by moving a hand with a treat in it to the floor and releasing it only after he lies down. Then I "fade the treat" (take it out of the picture) and just do the hand signal. The treat then comes after he lies down.

So there's multiple ways to approach it and any hand/body signal you can reliably repeat is fair game. Just make sure you can do it very close to the same way every time, especially in the beginning as he's just starting to learn it.

5. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 5 years ago

Can you train your dog to sit, down or stay without even saying a word? Dogs attend to hand signals better than verbal commands. Impress your family and friends with the use of hand signals. read more

working