jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What to make of a stray dog?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image67
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

What to make of a stray dog?

What do you do when you see a stray dog with a collar but not on a leash and with no owner around?  Do you think that dog will know how to find his own way home?  Or do you think that the dog wanted to escape from the owner?

2. Donna Suthard profile image74
    Donna Suthardposted 6 years ago

I think, dogs just want their freedom once in a while!  Their like us! When were on a leash, we want to escape from our homes!! dogs unfortunately get lost a lot easier then cats do! Maybe some want to escape their owner if their getting abused..dogs are usually known for their love and loyalty for their owners.

3. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

it could be a little bit of both i think he may have gotten out by mistake and that you should confront the owner before returning the dog

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

Dog will know how to go back to its home. But the problem is usually people who owns the dog has released them in unknown places so it will be difficult for the dog to find its way back.

5. Daffy Duck profile image59
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

I think that the dog has to go to the animal shelter unfortunately.  If the owner is concerned then they will call around to try to find their pet.

6. heavenbound5511 profile image79
    heavenbound5511posted 6 years ago

If the dog isn't mean you can see if it has tags and call the local animal shelter for owner info. This does work this is how I returned a 14yr dog that had never left it's owner before except on this night.
    Another one is to take the dog in your yard and or house and post it on craigslist and pet FBI. This worked also when I was returning a chocolate lab, it took three days but the owner was happy to have his dog back and grateful for not having to pay shelter fees. This dog had a running problem and the owner was in the process of moving to a new place with a fenced yard.
    Another time I found a dog that someone had ask me previously to take and I said no, I already have 3 dogs. 2 weeks later I found this dog on the corner of main st and picked it up and went to it's owner and they said they had given to the people behind them and that they had a hole in their fence. Also the dog had been out for about 8 hrs and no one looked for it at all, he was close enough to his home to be found. I didn't take this dog home to it's owner. I became it's new owner. They didn't need or deserve him.
    So it really just depends on what your willing to go through to help a dog/animal. Of course avoid dangerous dogs, but some of them / a lot of them aren't mean there scared instead.

7. Mel Jay profile image89
    Mel Jayposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on the dog's behaviour and condition.  A dog that obviously has no road sense needs to be restrained before it gets hurt or causes an accident.  A dog that appears in poor condition, undernourished or diseased needs care, regardless of whether it has an owner or not.  I think it depends on the situation.  I have often taken strays home and cared for them until a better home comes along for them or their owners front up.

8. Mayaanjali profile image77
    Mayaanjaliposted 6 years ago

It is sad but many a times owners incapable of bearing the expenses of their dogs abandon them on beaches, parks and the green island near freeways.  They leave them at far off places and it is pathetic to see a dog who was reared in good conditions adapt to the street-
    It looks first for friends in humans, searches for scraps of food and then has to combat the wild strays.
    Oh you hate the mean owner for his devious deeds!

9. TheTrone profile image58
    TheTroneposted 6 years ago

I believe it may be a lost dog; and many lost dogs have proven that they can and will find their way home!  What if the dog catcher is hindering that process? 

What if the dog catcher got the animals if homeward bound before they even started going?