jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Our dog ate chicken bones

1. profile image48
    Trich55posted 6 years ago

Our dog ate chicken bones

our garbage disposal dachsund ate some chicken and chicken bones out of the trash on Sunday, it is now Thursday and we have absolutely no signs of trouble, still hungry, still acting like the puppy he is not, are we home free?

2. Kaniel Loughran profile image57
    Kaniel Loughranposted 6 years ago

I am not an expert, but like you, I have a dog who will put anything in his mouth and swallow. If it has been about five days with no signs of pain or trouble, then I think you might have gotten a lucky break. I'm pretty sure problematic signs would have made themselves apparent by now. My experience with my dog (who has been to the vet before for ingesting foreign objects) is that he generally showed signs the same day or the day after that he had eaten something. Bones, especially fragmented ones could get lodged somewhere in there so keep him on watch, but I think you might have avoided a costly trip to the vet. Best of luck with the pup.

3. HealthyPetNetwork profile image60
    HealthyPetNetworkposted 6 years ago

Good sign but stay alert. When I went thru this our Dr Plechner said to make sure you give them some bread, which will help

4. alexadry profile image97
    alexadryposted 6 years ago

My dog ate chicken bones! Learn the best course of action and tips from vets on how to prevent dangerous scraping as the bones pass through. read more