jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What are the chances, my cat will find his way home?

1. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

What are the chances, my cat will find his way home?

Me & my fiance' took him to the pet store today. We both made the stupid decision of letting him sit in the cart on the way to the car. Something spooked him and he hopped out and ran. We tried for hours and hours to find him with no luck. Made up some signs and put them all over in the area. The pet store is about 4 to 5 miles away from our house. I'm absolutely sick and sad about it... What are the chances of him finding his way home? What else can we do to find him? He's about 4 years old & was a stray. He's been living with us for almost 2 years. I don't want to never see him again sad

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5517800_f260.jpg

2. quester.ltd profile image60
    quester.ltdposted 6 years ago

Cats generally will find their way home - but they are also very independent and may find a new home.. Dogs seem to be much more tied to people and sometimes even find their people who have moved to a new home and lost the dog at the old home.
    Keep your eyes open and do drive by the store often looking for your kitty.
    Good Luck
    q

3. homesteadbound profile image88
    homesteadboundposted 6 years ago

I don't know, but I'm sorry for you. He looks like my cat Cheyenne.

4. profile image0
    Shawn Dawkinnposted 6 years ago

Cats have been known to travel much farther than that to get home. On animal planet they had a story on about a cat that traveled over 200 miles to get home.

5. terrektwo profile image82
    terrektwoposted 6 years ago

I understand your predicament but I suppose it depends on how familiar he was with your area. If he ran off and didn't come back he may not know enough to even try and get back home. Personally I would return to the area and search again, maybe even a few times.

6. tarrka1089 profile image59
    tarrka1089posted 6 years ago

Did you have him microchipped?  If someone else should find him and take him to a shelter or vet, then he would be easily ID'd.  I have heard of dogs finding their way back.  As for cats, I'm sure if one is determined enough he/she could as well.

I agree with going back to the area and looking on a frequent basis too.  It is heartbreaking when your pet wanders.  I'm hoping for the best too!

7. SuperheroSales profile image60
    SuperheroSalesposted 6 years ago

You need to drive around neighborhoods close to the area where you lost him and start asking for people to help and to spread the word.  Eventually someone will find him if you get a big enough search party together.  Good luck, your story is heartbreaking, but I'm praying that it will have a happy ending!

8. Admiral_Joraxx profile image81
    Admiral_Joraxxposted 6 years ago

If he is currently free, not in cage or any form of handcuffs whatsoever that will demobilize him and he has to will to go home, he will surely be able to find his way home. Cats can trace their scents left behind as they go along their way.

9. profile image0
    eveowlposted 6 years ago

If your cat was an indoor cat it won't know the area and will have to rely on scent. I'm not sure if 4 to 5 miles will be easy for your cat to follow. You say its micro chipped & you put signs up this is of great help. I wish you luck!

working