jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How much water does it take to cause bloat in a dog?

1. TheEpicJourney profile image80
    TheEpicJourneyposted 6 years ago

How much water does it take to cause bloat in a dog?

I've often heard that bloat in dogs can be caused by drinking to much water too quickly.  Is this true and if so how much water is too much?  When I run/rollerblade with my malamute she wants to drink a lot of water and I am always worried that I've let her drink to much.  I regulate it but I would like to know how I can know what is healthy and what isn't, so I'm not always worrying.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
    Jesus was a hippyposted 6 years ago

You might find this helpful;

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

3. profile image0
    HowardBThinameposted 6 years ago

I raise Saint Bernards and I've heard that it's not so much drinking water as it is drinking water with their food.

There are a lot of precautions and a lot of disagreement on what causes bloat, or gastric torsion. They used to say feed the dog from an elevated bowl, now they say the elevated bowl will cause torsion. The reasoning behind not letting the dog drink while it's eating is to prevent the fluid buildup in the stomach, which can lead to solid bits of food passing into the intestines instead of digesting first. Water dilutes digestive acids, so the food in the stomach might not break down sufficiently before it enters the intestines, causing twisting, or bloat.

It's a serious - often fatal condition, so if you have a breed of dog susceptible to bloat, by all means, take precautions to avoid this heartbreaking disorder.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

There is no set amount. Take a water container with you and let your dog take sips during exercise, but avoid letting your dog drink a lot of water an hour or so before and after exercise. The bloat is actually caused by the air intake, not the water.

working