jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What are some of the strangest pets you have heard of people having or that you

1. bscott4388 profile image60
    bscott4388posted 6 years ago

What are some of the strangest pets you have heard of people having or that you have owned?

I heard of someone having a monkey, a squirrel, a pig and a giraffe!  As a pet!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6075876_f260.jpg

2. sarmack profile image60
    sarmackposted 6 years ago

Some friends in Port Orchard Washington had piranas in a small fish tank.  They had to have a weighted lid over the top of the tank, because the fish would jump out trying to get them!  Scary looking fish.  Wicked looking teeth...

3. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

Tarantulas, maybe--though they ARE pretty cool.

My #1 vote:  The Pet Rock fad from a few decades ago.

4. profile image0
    HubTubposted 6 years ago

A friend of mine has a pet opossum.  He actually carries it around on his shoulders!

5. cobrien profile image77
    cobrienposted 6 years ago

My son has pet rats. He got them from Pet Supermarket and had to sign a paper promising not to use them as snake food. I named the white one Snake and the black one Food anyways.

6. jenniferrpovey profile image91
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

I once had a riding trainer who owned a Vietnamese pot bellied pig as a pet. Not a MINIATURE. A full sized one. (Which is still fairly small...for a pig. But still a pig. A full-sized pig).

I know several people who own snakes of various kinds.

And I used to know a falconer and owler who recommended that if you want an owl just as a pet, you should get a Tawny Owl because they're lazy and won't do anything but sit around all day anyway - useless for falconry, but great decoration wink. (She also had a buzzard, a pair of Turkemenian eagle owls, a barn owl and I think a kestrel. But those weren't PETS...those were working birds).

I also know somebody who used to keep sugar gliders, which are apparently easy to feed and care for, but need a fairly large aviary to be truly happy.

7. profile image60
    bluebayposted 6 years ago

I had a friend who had a boa constricter. He took him out of his cage and let him crawl around. It was scary.

8. wonderingwoolley profile image56
    wonderingwoolleyposted 6 years ago

my cousin had snakes, which I thought was totally gross, but weirdest would be a potbellied pig. I know that's not super out there, but it's the strangest thing that I can think of from people that I know personally. Also, another cousin of mine has an iguana which grew to be about 6 feet long!

9. pstraubie48 profile image86
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

believe it or not, my daughter had a pet possum that i will hub about in the future...the video that i need for the hub is packed...as i am getting ready to move...they are great pets...not throw away animals as most think...now, how we came to have him is a long story...

10. Shaddie profile image91
    Shaddieposted 6 years ago

I have snakes, tarantulas, and leaf bugs. The weirdest pet I have heard of was a sloth smile

working