jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

How do you best break up a cat or a dog fight?

1. Linda Bliss profile image92
    Linda Blissposted 6 years ago

How do you best break up a cat or a dog fight?

2. profile image0
    MP50posted 6 years ago

The best way to break up a cat or a dog fight, is to throw a full bucket of cold water over both animals in the fight.

This has worked for me in the past, make sure your out of the way while the animals are drying off.

Lovely dog by the way...smile

3. landscapeartist profile image78
    landscapeartistposted 6 years ago

When we were kids my mom always broke up a fight by throwing a pail of ice cold water on the fighters.  She didn't care if it was my brothers that were fighting,  or a couple of animals.

4. EuroCafeAuLait profile image85
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 6 years ago

yes, water is the key.  My grandmother saved her little pooch's life by squirting a nozzle full of water at the nostrils of a big dog who had sunk its teeth into the little dog's body.  Sure enough, he had to release the dog to get fresh air.  This is a good trick for four year old temper tantrums - water is a great wake-up call!  Sure makes 'em mad, but they stop screaming!

5. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

A steady stream from a water hose does wonders............a pitcher of cold water will get their attention also.

Never put your person between the two!

6. Brett Winn profile image88
    Brett Winnposted 6 years ago

If you have two people, each person should simultaneously take a dog by the scruff of the neck or collar with one hand, and with the other, pull at the dog's flank, where the rear leg joins the body. The dogs will let go of one another and turn towards their flank, thinking another dog has attacked them. When they do this, each person should swing the dogs around so they are no longer facing one another and walk them to separate enclosures. Don't just let them go or they will go right back to fighting.

If you are alone, slip a leash under one dog's stomach and run the end through the handle, creating a noose. Tighten it up and then back up, and attach the other end of the leash to something solid ... a post, tree, fence, etc. Then go and take the hind legs of the other dog and steadily pull backwards until the two dogs are separated. Take the dog you pulled off and isolate him in a crate, car, or other enclosure so that he cannot return to the fight.

Water usually does not work unless the dogs are not particularly committed to the fight, are very small, or the stream of water is very strong. (Think fire hose.) Stun guns don't work either, they just make them fight harder.

Unfortunately I have "been there, done that" a few times too many ... this is the only way I know of that works!

7. thoughtwoman profile image60
    thoughtwomanposted 6 years ago

I agree that water will do the trick. I hadn't thought of doing it up a dog's nose, but even just squirting it in the face would work I think.

8. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

Never try to seperate them yourself I use water a hose or spray bottle.

9. Marturion profile image59
    Marturionposted 6 years ago

If available, water is usually the best - and safest - way to break things up.  With bigger dogs, though, they might just go right back to fighting once the shock wears off.  If you don't have water available, grab the most aggressive dog by the scruff of the neck, and pull up as hard as you can.  This triggers an instinctive response from when they were pups and their mother would lift them in the same way.  Both dogs will cease fighting immediately, and give you an opportunity to separate them.

10. Bonitaanna profile image78
    Bonitaannaposted 6 years ago

If they are outside turn the water hose on them.  If they are inside turn the vacumn cleaner on and come towards them with it and the noise will make them stop and run and hide.

11. Perspycacious profile image80
    Perspycaciousposted 6 years ago

Throw water.................................................................... on them.