jump to last post 1-20 of 20 discussions (20 posts)

Would you risk your own life to save your pet dog or cat from a house fire?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image93
    mistyhorizon2003posted 6 years ago

Would you risk your own life to save your pet dog or cat from a house fire?

I know I would in a heart beat, but wonder just how many other people would do this too.

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Absolutely. I would try to be as safe as possible but I wouldn't think twice about rescuing an animal, even if it wasn't my own.

3. JKenny profile image92
    JKennyposted 6 years ago

For me, my dog is like a member of the family. So I wouldn't hesitate; I couldn't imagine life without her.

4. katkin profile image60
    katkinposted 6 years ago

Absolutely,definately yes! I could not imagine being without her and as she is a member of our family she deserves to be rescued.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

It would be like my kids being trapped, I would have to do whatever I could to get them out.

6. CAGreenholdt profile image60
    CAGreenholdtposted 6 years ago

My dog just went ape crazy barking at a guy who opened the fence to the backyard.  And I have only had the rascal for two days.  Yes, I would run into a burning building to save him just as he would for me.

7. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Hi Misty - again - what great questions your asking! LOL! Anyway my basic answer to this question is a definate 'Yes'! I know all the arguments against it and this is probably correct. But I know me and there is no way I could stand by and let any of my dogs be harmed, I would have to go in to get them out.

8. Amy Becherer profile image73
    Amy Bechererposted 6 years ago

I live in an apartment since my divorce.  As it's smaller than the home I formerly lived in, it is relatively easy to find my Scottish Terrier, usually within eyeshot of me.  I have working smoke detectors, so provided I was home, the first thing I would do in the event of a fire, would be to grab MacGregor and get out.  My purse is by the door, so I could probably grab that, too, but, if not, the only real concern I have is the well-being of my sweet, loyal, loving, little man, Mac.

Thank you for your question as you reminded me to get a spare key made for my neighbor.  Bill, who is home nearly all the time and loves MacGregor, too, said he would be happy to keep a spare key to ensure Mac's safety if I was away.

9. Reds Sweets profile image56
    Reds Sweetsposted 6 years ago

My dogs and my children are my world.  I would be devastated if anything happened to them.  I will admit, my children would be my first priority, but after I got them out of the house safely, I would go back in to get my dogs.  Even if it meant carrying their  100-200lb butts out over my shoulder.

10. mattforte profile image91
    mattforteposted 6 years ago

I would be more likely to save a dog from a house fire (my dog or a stranger) than a human being any day. If it were a human, I'd probably weigh my odds of both of us living vs both of us dying...I'm a small bit disconnected like that.
    A dog however - they don't really understand things. And they are so good to people. I'd jump in in a heartbeat.

My car actually caught fire once...a cable shorted itself on the starter. I ran to get some water...then I realized my dog was in my car. I ran back to unlock the car (I'd locked it and gotten out to check the engine when it died - I didn't know about the fire until after I was looking under the hood) and get my dog out - knowing it was entirely possible the car could explode as I did this. Not nearly as death defying as a burning house - but I put the dog's life before mine and always will.

11. msjapples profile image58
    msjapplesposted 6 years ago

Yes, I would rescue my dog just as I would any member of my family.

12. ananceleste profile image72
    anancelesteposted 6 years ago

I can speak for all my family, ABSOLUTELY ! The baby( the dog) has to be safe.

13. Doc Wordinger profile image95
    Doc Wordingerposted 6 years ago

I see you live in the Channel Islands Mistyhorizon so you might have come across this news story already, but just in case you haven't, here it is:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne … ealed.html

I think it's pretty relevant to your question.

14. bdegiulio profile image98
    bdegiulioposted 6 years ago

Absolutely.  She is a member of our family.  I would not hesitate to rush into a burning building to save her.

15. moonfairy profile image81
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

Without a doubt....even if he is a knucklehead...lol. Seriously..yes. If I knew he was in any kind of danger I would risk my life to save him.

16. Gemini Fox profile image90
    Gemini Foxposted 6 years ago

Absolutely! And it's nice to see how many others would too - and sad to think that there are some out there who wouldn't.

17. Sandyspider profile image74
    Sandyspiderposted 6 years ago

My pet is part of the family. There is no way I would leave without my pet.

18. profile image0
    mcals71posted 6 years ago

Yes!! That's why I don't even start the drier when I leave the house, just in case... My cats are my little buddies and I treat them with love and respect, just as if they were children. They trust me to take good care of them, and I will never betray their trust.

19. Dear God profile image60
    Dear Godposted 6 years ago

Yes, my pets are members of my family.  I would not be able to live with myself if I just left them in harms way.  I would certainly hope that I never have to make a decision to leave one behind.

20. renee21 profile image81
    renee21posted 5 years ago

No.  I would never risk my life for a pet.  I would definitely miss the pet, but pets don't have a soul.  I can replace it.  I would try to get it out with me, but I would not try so hard as to put my own life at risk.

working