jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Do some dogs not like rubber toys?

1. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

Do some dogs not like rubber toys?

I bought this rubber toy a few years ago for my 2 dogs, and they will not touch it. They sniff it but won't have anything to do with it.  I bought it at Pet Smart and the product name is Invincible Chains.

2. CMENYART1 profile image59
    CMENYART1posted 6 years ago

We have four dogs and unless I directly put the toys in front of them, or fill them with treats/peanut butter (the kong-style toys), they won't go and play with them. Shame too, the kongs are kind of pricey.

3. Dragonrain profile image85
    Dragonrainposted 6 years ago

Each dog is different.  Part of the fun is trying to figure out what type of toys each one enjoys.  My dog isn't too crazy about rubber toys but he really loves squeaky toys.

I guess the unfortunate thing is that until you know what type of toys your dog likes best you usually have to spend money trying out different types of toys.  You can always donate toys your dog(s) don't like to your local animal shelter.

4. MissKrisCayllie profile image82
    MissKrisCayllieposted 6 years ago

My last dog would no touch ANY toy. She didn't have any interest in them. I just got a new puppy last week and she is constantly chewing on her toys or moving them around. I think it depends on the dog.

5. BigEd5857 profile image60
    BigEd5857posted 6 years ago

My dogs will only play with squeaky toys. Once the sqeaker stops working it will never be touched again. Aren't they just so adorable ?

6. SopranoRocks profile image58
    SopranoRocksposted 6 years ago

One of my dogs won't play with any toys and the other plays with toys all day.  He prefers squeaker toys and knots. He is destructive with anything stuffed or rubber.  I don't let him play with rubber toys because I am worried as he shreds them that he may swallow some.

7. profile image0
    DoItForHerposted 6 years ago

My dog, Waffles, will play with rubber, but solid isn't her fav. They should be hollow, and they can't be inflated with too much pressure as she likes the give when biting. Poking a hole in it would work, too. She does prefer something with texture or a cover rather than completely smooth.

Why do they call them 'invincible'? No such thing! lol

8. Sinea Pies profile image77
    Sinea Piesposted 6 years ago

Makes me wonder if they know it's really a toy? My dogs know that a stuffed toy is theirs to play with as long as it is on the ground. When my grandkids come to visit I warn them to keep the stuffed animals up or the dogs will assume it's theirs.

9. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Dogs are individuals that have individual preferences. I don't buy rubber toys, except for Kongs. You could try to soak the toy in chicken or beef broth to make it more appealing, but watch your dog to make sure s/he doesn't take any bites out of the toy. Or - you could take it back to PetSmart and see if they will give your money back.

10. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Hi - my Border Collie is not that overly keen on quite a number of the rubber toys on the market. Like your own dogs, he sniffs at them but then looses interest. He prefers soft toys, although does enjoy his football(soccer) ball outside.

11. RMfreelancewriter profile image60
    RMfreelancewriterposted 6 years ago

It is true that some dogs, and cats do not like toys. I had a cat that didn't like catnip while another loved it. I have had dogs that love to play tug-o-war and others that couldn't be bothered.