jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you brush your pets teeth, use dental treats to improve their health or is th

1. Charlu profile image82
    Charluposted 5 years ago

Do you brush your pets teeth, use dental treats to improve their health or is that going to far?

Just so you know I took the picture of brushing my horses teeth for a laugh:))). Don't try it they might eat the brush!!  Actually I think they make big brushes for them, naaah I'll have the vet do it.
    If you do brush your pets teeth what toothpaste do you use organic, pet related (dog, cat) etc?

2. raniwrites profile image79
    raniwritesposted 5 years ago

We don't brush our 3 dogs' teeth (although I'm sure it would be easier than brushing a horse's teeth) however we do feed them only dry dog food (and some table scraps of course) and half of their treats are hard and half are soft.  The vet always checks their teeth and we've not had any issues until the last visit.  He wants to thoroughly clean the teeth of our 10 1/2 year old Westie to prevent any issues as she ages.  Will have to put her to sleep to do it.

3. Dragonrain profile image84
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

I do brush my dogs teeth, just a few times a week.  I don't feel that it's going to far personally.  A dog tooth brush and tooth paste is cheap, but having to pay for a vet to do a dental on a dog is not only much much more expensive, but more risky as well (since most vets use anesthesia while preforming dental cleanings on pets).

I use dog tooth paste.  Human tooth paste is not safe to use on pets.  A tube of good enzymatic dog tooth paste only costs me about $4 and lasts me a pretty long time.  It's worth it to me.

It's a myth that feeding hard or kibble foods cleans pets teeth.
    http://dragonrain.hubpages.com/hub/kibb … steethmyth

4. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

Lol! Love the humor! I don't have a pet right now, but we did give them treats to help remove tarter from their teeth. Don't know about brushing but if needed then I guess I would.