jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Which Is The Laziest Dog Breed? Do We Really Need Them?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

Which Is The Laziest Dog Breed? Do We Really Need Them?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Bull dogs are pretty lazy - and yes we need them - not everyone has a lot of energy and some people are best matched to a low energy dog.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image100
      Melissa A Smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If they don't have energy, maybe they should try to get some. It's healthy. Poor bulldogs couldn't have more energy if they tried since they can't breath out of their nose properly.

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean, they "should try and get some?" I walk a bulldog every day at lunchtime and I have to be very careful to avoid overexertion and overheating in this dog. It's not the dog's fault! Humans selectively bred these dogs to look the way th

3. Dragonrain profile image85
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

I've heard that greyhounds, strangely, can be very lazy dogs in a home environment.  Not a breed you commonly think of as lazy, since they are used as racing dogs, but apparently they are huge couch potatoes when indoors.  I've seen them recommended a lot as good apartment dogs, because they don't need a lot of indoor space, are generally quiet, and a 20 - 30 minute walk per day can be enough to keep them happy. 

Do we need them?  I guess it would depend on who you ask.  Different people like different breeds for tons of different reasons.  I don't personally like lazy dogs, my dog is very active and I am most attracted to active breeds, but I still respect and understand that not all owners want to or can spend hours a day exercising their dog like I do.  Keep in mind that even so called lazy dogs should get some form of daily exercise, even if it's just a relaxing 20 minute walk.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

We have a Leonberger. His policy is why stand if I can sit, and why sit if I can lay down. He is very low energy but high maintenance in terms of HAIR  everywhere, all over everything always.  Love the dog but he is the last one we will have.

Do we need them/  Not sure about what you mean, but of course we need them.  They are dogs so they are wonderful.

5. newcalendar profile image69
    newcalendarposted 5 years ago

Golden Retrievers contradictory to their name can be exceptionally lazy, sitting there all day and doing nothing. Maybe once they'll get up, dig a hole and then lay down again. I know my neighbours is, sometimes it comes in my house and sits there all afternoon like a big lump! It's very funny when it happens.

I don't know if we need them but most dogs just want someone to pay them attention and show them love. I think that's a good enough reason for them to exist.

6. claretosto profile image60
    claretostoposted 5 years ago

I do not have experience with lazy dog breeds because my Comet is a very intelligent, high energy border collie/greyhound mix. Read that: smart and fast! Balls and frisbees - whether thrown in the air, tossed into the lake, or hidden in the bushes, it is his pleasure - no, his mission to bring them back home. However, after all that work you'd think he could chill out, take in a little lazy time, relax. Not Comet. Even at his laziest, his feet are twitching and he's making little woof sounds in his sleep - in his dreams, moving faster than a speeding bullet in pursuit of his favorite Flippy Flopper or slimy tennis ball. Do we really need them? Yes, we really do. Lazy or crazy, there's nothing like puppy love.