jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

Help buying a rhinocerous

1. Ari Lamstein profile image82
    Ari Lamsteinposted 5 years ago

Help buying a rhinocerous

I am interested in buying a pet rhinocerous for my goddaughter as a birthday present (she just turned 3).  Can anyone tell me where I can buy one, and how much I should expect to pay (I don't want to get ripped off!).

Also, while my friend is generally supportive of me buying a pet rhinocerous for his daughter, he did express some concern about the cost of maintaining one.  About how much should he expect to have to pay per month to maintain it (food, training, vet bills, etc.)?  We're just looking for approximate numbers.  Thanks.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6591913_f260.jpg

2. clairemy profile image76
    clairemyposted 5 years ago

You can't be serious?Why would you want to?

Ari Lamsteinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Of course I'm serious.  My goddaughter's favorite stuffed animal is a rhinocerous.  It only makes sense that she'd like having a real one.

2. clairemy profile image76
      clairemyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Glad to see that my first instinct was right, and I asked if you were serious.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Seriously? Why don't you take her to buy a domestic pet such as a dog or cat? Why on earth do you want to purchase a rhinocerous? They are wild animals and belong in the wild. Wild animals are not for owning.

Because anyone can buy her a dog or cat.  I want to do something special for her.  After all, she's my goddaughter.  If I don't go the extra mile for her, who will? 

Some people say that rhinos belong in zoos.  But I think that zoos should share...

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I can't decide whether you're kidding or you are serious about this, but I do not think wild animals, especially something like a rhino is a suitable "pet."

3. Ari Lamstein profile image82

@Dubuquedogtrainer, I give up: I've just been kidding about all of this.  I asked the question and left my comments as a joke!

PS I am the staff member who recommended your Hub to be awarded the "Hub of the Day" a few days ago!

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59

Thank you, Ari! And sorry - I wasn't sure if you were kidding...you know there are people on here who want wild animals as pets....I apologize for not recognizing your attempt to make a joke.

5. Ari Lamstein profile image82

No problem Cindy!  PS I spent several years volunteering at the San Francioco SPCA.  It has a strong tradition of positive reinforcement training, which seems to be a similar approach as yours.

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59

Yes, the SFSPCA has a good reputation. Always glad to meet a fellow animal lover! And yes - I am a positive reinforcement trainer and clicker training devotee!

4. Dragonrain profile image86
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

Most rhinoceros' are very very expensive.  Like, maybe around a trillion dollars or so.

Instead I think maybe you should buy your goddaughter a stuffed rhino, and a "magic" wand.  Tell her that if she wishes really hard, that she can use the wand to turn the rhino real.  If it doesn't work, then you can just blame it on her.  Tell her that if she can't wish hard enough to make the toy rhino real, then obviously she never really wanted a pet rhino as much as she thought she did.

wink

LOL!  If we had a "best answer" feature, then I would select your answer!

5. Doctor Kristy profile image89
    Doctor Kristyposted 5 years ago

You have tried the pound, right? That's where I got my giraffe. It was only around $120 (gotta love cheap Tuesdays). Plus the cost of vaccinations, of course.

Don't worry about food or anything like that, that's all relatively cheap. It's finding cute clothes (like those fashionable dog coats) that are the killers. It's almost like there's not a big market for giraffe jumpers and rhinocerous hats.

Ha!  Awesome answer!

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59

May I train it?

3. coolenconnections profile image76
      coolenconnectionsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great answer!!  I'm thinking giraffe neck-warmers now. I wonder how long it would take to knit one.

6. Danieljohnston profile image87
    Danieljohnstonposted 5 years ago

I've worked with Rhinos for the Zoo. They are loving and they love apples. They also don't know they hurt you or that stepping on your foot is a bad idea. I'm pretty sure you cannot get them unless you are a zoo because of the rhino horn poaching problem, which is very sad. Both the horn problem and not being able to have them as pets.

If you do get one, buy an orchard too hehe.

Closed to reply

working