jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Do your dogs engage in social grooming? If so, what do they do exactly?

1. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 5 years ago

Do your dogs engage in social grooming? If so, what do they do exactly?

2. wetnosedogs profile image60
    wetnosedogsposted 5 years ago

No, my dogs don't. I didn't know dogs do that, except puppywise, which mom would do. But mine are older. Guess I'm the social groomer with the brush.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

The youngest of our pack does to the oldest all the time to the point of it annoying her. He will clean the inside of her ears and her entire body. When I asked the vet about it she said it was him trying to feel accepted.

4. SmartAndFun profile image99
    SmartAndFunposted 5 years ago

I have a female mutt and a male Lab. Both are the same age, almost 5. The female has a nightly grooming ritual where she tenderly but thoroughly cleans the male's ears. He seems to enjoy it, and just lies there with that glazed-over look on his face, smiling as if he was getting a good neck scratching.

My daughter (13) says the female does this every night because the she wishes she had a puppy to take care of. My daughter hever has forgiven me for getting the dogs "fixed," because she wishes we could have a houseful of puppies at all times.

The male never reciprocates. My daughter feels bad for the female dog and sometimes takes a tissue and wipes her ears out so the dog won't feel left out and uncared for, LOL.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

My 2 female shelties used to groom one another. They would pull the other's long hair through their teeth, kind of like they were combing it. They are the only dogs I have seen do this.

6. Cosmic Bus profile image76
    Cosmic Busposted 5 years ago

My Rat Chi grooms my Rottie mix, Boxer and my Rag Muffin cat! She cleans ears, nose, eyes and anything else she feels that may need a groom. If my cat has escaped outside she checks her over to make sure all is well.

7. ciaralw profile image61
    ciaralwposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6606301_f260.jpg

My pit bull Reggie has a daily grooming ritual with my five year old. He will groom her for an hour if we let him, he loves her so much he even gets between her toes and fingers. LOL he knows that I don't like kisses so he rarely licks me unless my hands are wet, but he will thoroughly groom her because she will let him.

1. Cosmic Bus profile image76
      Cosmic Busposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love that picture! It shows the true nature of most Pitties.

8. Petfriends profile image59
    Petfriendsposted 5 years ago

My sister has two male Chihuahuas of which one suffers from blocked tear ducts therefore always appearing as though crying human tears. The smaller older Chi is constantly cleaning his face. It's almost like a roll of the eyes look - geez, need to clean your face again.

working