jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How many times a day should I walk my dog?

1. Ari Lamstein profile image82
    Ari Lamsteinposted 5 years ago

How many times a day should I walk my dog?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6616737_f260.jpg

2. Dragonrain profile image84
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

I'd say that really depends on a lot of factors - what type of dog, age, activity level, health, how long do you walk for and do you have a yard for them to use the bathroom?

If you have a yard that you can let him/her out in to use the bathroom, I'd say for most dogs that one long walk or two shorter ones a day is a good amount.  If you don't have a yard, then the dog will of course have to go out more often to use the bathroom.  However, I really don't consider quick 5 - 10 minute bathroom breaks as walks.

3. jandee profile image57
    jandeeposted 5 years ago

I have Boxer dogs,one is hyper,all are extremely high energy dogs.

I walk my hyper dog four times daily.  The Morning walk is sort of straight out of bed climbing into denims and out for One hour. Husband takes the others out and they have a good run.     End of the day they have Four walks a day-one long one and others a sort of long stroll.  It really depends on dog ! if it socializes with other dogs, has a run with them then that's great and maybe not as many walks as mine are needed.( little sweety dogs are no problem,)

best from jandee

4. ShepherdLover profile image72
    ShepherdLoverposted 5 years ago

It depends a bit on what type of dog you have.  I have a German Shepherd mix, and I take him for two 1/2 hour - 45 min. walks each day, one in the morning and one in the evening.  It also depends how much other exercise your dog gets - we're lucky to have a large fenced yard, so we also have play sessions of fetch, chase, etc. in our yard.

5. zebtron profile image58
    zebtronposted 5 years ago

I think it depends upon the dog,  but 2 times a day (in addition to bathroom breaks) seems like a good base line.

working