How do you train a dog to dance on its hind legs?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. DonnaCosmato profile image87
    DonnaCosmatoposted 11 years ago

How do you train a dog to dance on its hind legs?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

That's a funny question!  LOL  But I would never train a dog to dance on its hind legs as it would be very unnatural for it to do so and hard on its back and hips.  Training animals for our entertainment, especially to laugh at them is not really a kind thing to do.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is true - it is a stressful movement for dogs. There is a very interesting video of a dog that dances with a Mexican guy for the whole dance standing on its rear legs. The dog is stressed and not enjoying this.

3. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6624940_f260.jpg

Hello Donna! This is a trick that is often seen in smaller breeds. Larger breeds have a harder time to balance themselves and this can also put too much strain on their hind legs in the long term. You need to have a dog sit straight and then train the dog to stay up on its hind legs as if jumping up to get the treat. Then you would further shape the behavior by luring the dog to walk forward, a little step at a time rewarding for each small sign of progress. You can train this also with a clicker. My male can take a few steps and we used to do this in Canine Musical Freestlye as you can see above us practicing last year for a title. We don't really dance though, it is just a trick I ask before I shoot him "bang!" with my finger and he falls to the ground. Note: I always check for orthopedic clearances from a vet before enrolling in classes such as agility or other canine sports.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

This is something some smaller dogs do naturally. It is not something I recommend for larger dogs though they can do it for brief periods. I teach canine musical freestyle and do not do this with my dog that is a large Golden Retriever except for very brief moments.

For example, this is not good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRb94IbL138. Hard on the dog and the dog is not enjoying this. Don't mistake the fact that this dog looks like a happy human - in dog language, the dog is not happy. Even though the mouth is open, the lips are drawn way back.

This, on the other hand is natural - smaller dogs stand on their rear legs at will and seem to enjoy it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJY-ntxw-DI  I even have a client right now who consulted me because her small dog likes to hop down the sidewalk rather than walk - just like the dog in this video!

The easiest way to teach this is to hold a piece of food in front of the dog's nose to lure the dog up onto its rear legs and then slowly move the food around in a circle while keeping it in front of the dog's nose.

A word of caution: do not attempt this or other athletic maneuvers, for example jumping with a dog less than 9 mos. to a year old.

1. DonnaCosmato profile image87
      DonnaCosmatoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks to all who commented! Our little Chihuahua loves to dance and prance but I was wondering whether it was good for her or if it was a practice to encourage.

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60

In general, I think what a dog does naturally is usually not harmful, but forced moves can be harmful if care is not taken - for example jumping and "dancing." That said, I would discourage her from jumping off of elevated surfaces!

3. alexadry profile image96
      alexadryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome Donna! I thought you looked familiar and just realized you were my editor for when I worked for a popular website's dog channels! Nice to see you here! Kind regards!

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60

What troll voted my answer down? Really sick of the juvenile behavior on here. I am trying to help by offering my expertise for FREE - why the negative feedback?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)