jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Do owls symbolize death?

1. afriqnet profile image51
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

Do owls symbolize death?

My traditional beliefs depict the Owl as a bad omen that symbolizes death.
    I did a research on the web about the bad omen related to Owls and I was surprised to see these answers:- If an owl lands on the roof of your house, it is an omen of death. Constant hooting near your house also foretells death.
    -- If an owl hoots at the moment of childbirth, the child will have an unhappy life.
    -- The Irish believe that if an owl flies into a house it must be killed immediately. If it escapes, it will take the luck of the house with it.
    What do you think about Owls? For me they are cute birds that's all

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6720124_f260.jpg

2. profile image53
    lasertekservicesposted 5 years ago

No, I don't think so. I also heard about this belief. Somebody told me that it is an unlucky animal and should never be a pet.

3. wytegarillaz profile image76
    wytegarillazposted 5 years ago

We have never seen many owls but recently we had one sit near us on a post for a few nights in a row . To us they are just another amazing bird.

4. aviannovice profile image91
    aviannoviceposted 5 years ago

In some cultures, yes, and in our culture, they symbolize wisdom.  It all depends on what you read or hear.

1. sparklingcrystal profile image77
      sparklingcrystalposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It depends on the culture of the place you live in.  In our place it's also a symbolism for wisdom or intelligence.

5. Joann1234 profile image59
    Joann1234posted 5 years ago

There are lot of believes in many cultures , thought it was the raven / black crow means death . There are some many animals that symolize alot of meanings .

6. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 5 years ago

I didn't experience that except in the death of the "old" and birth of the new. Owls loved my "farm house" land and only good things happened to me when I encountered this beautiful, yet intriguing creature.

7. Beth-Woodard profile image74
    Beth-Woodardposted 5 years ago

I've never heard this, they're too cute surely!! Read more on my article

http://beth-woodard.hubpages.com/hub/Ch … -barn-owls

8. dirthawker profile image61
    dirthawkerposted 6 months ago

Really late here... But...

No, owls don't symbolize death. At least not in the context you wrote. Omens aren't real. An owl is just a bird, not even a very intelligent one.

working