jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is your views at "owls as pet"???

1. Sneha Sunny profile image83
    Sneha Sunnyposted 7 years ago

What is your views at "owls as pet"???

I love owls. 'm planning to get some pet for the first time. So I was thinking that can I get an owl as my pet??? I have changed my plan though to have an owl as I read somewhere that its a bad idea to have an owl as a pet. So what you think about this????

2. Hoodala profile image56
    Hoodalaposted 7 years ago

Owls are predators and should be free to fly and kill.  They are great at keeping the rodent population under control and should not be pets.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image87
    Jeff Berndtposted 7 years ago

Owls do not make good pets. As has already been pointed out, they are wild creatures and have a need to fly and hunt and kill their prey.

On the other hand, there are organizations that exist to rehabilitate injured owls. These would be great places to start if you want to learn more about owls and become qualified to work with them.
    In Canada, start here:
    In the US, here:

Or you could contact your state's department of natural resources, or the local equivalent.

4. craftybegonia profile image75
    craftybegoniaposted 7 years ago

Owls are wild birds of prey, just like falcons. You would probably need a special permit to be able to keep one, if you are a zoologist, and get one from a zoo that has been wounded and cannot be returned to the wild, you can possibly keep it at home. Otherwise, I don't think you can do that legally. . .We have an owl that nests in our property, but he has decided to do it on his own. We also keep a very sharp eye on our cat, because owls have been know to hunt small cats. So you see, they really don't make good pets.

5. oliversmum profile image88
    oliversmumposted 7 years ago

Hi. I am not a fan of keeping any type of bird in a cage.
    An Owl is a beautiful bird and should be left to roam free.(my personal opinion only). smile smile

6. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

They do not make good pets, I have read about a person who rehabilitated an injured wild owl-- and it completely took over her life, as well as being nocturnal and destructive.
    (In the USA it is illegal to have them as pets.)
    Yes, they are attractive and intriguing, but not good pets. If you can volunteer your time at a place that rehabs birds of prey, you might put your interests to a good use.
    I have a hub on wild animal pets, and also know a little about owls.

7. LuisEGonzalez profile image87
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

Not in the US unless you are certified and only then while the creature is rehabilitated or categorized as unable to return to the wild.