Do you believe in Omens?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (36 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

Do you believe in Omens

Like for example, "Things happen in threes...."  Do they really?  Is this an example of how omens are to be revered?

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have witnessed that more than once with deaths in my own family. Just this last May, my eldest sister died, 2 weeks later our nephew died, then just a month later our great-nephew died.

IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Working in a hospital, I see a lot of tragedies.  Which often do occur in 3's.  Someone will die on the table, and the next thing you know two more have passed post-op.  It can be eerie.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Essentially, what you're saying is that each and every day, people die in post-op only in 3's?

Or, maybe it's just that you focus on 3's and ignore the times people die in 1's, 2's, 4's, etc. because of the superstition surrounding events occurring in 3's?

smile

Dying on the surgical table isn't post-op.  Secondly if you would have read some of the other posts, and not just mine ( which seems like you are purposely stalking me only- which I will report) you would read where I've virtually tackled this topic with someone else already.smile

But, YOU said "post-op" you didn't say "surgical table"

You've got to be joking. Disagreeing with you is stalking??? roll

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68

So no one believes crossing a black cat is bad luck, or that a rabbit foot is considered lucky?  That surprises me.

It surprises you that people actually don't believe in superstitions?  smile

1. Arthur Fontes profile image75
        Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that superstitions are different than omens.

If you see the sky getting dark during daylight hours it would be an omen of a coming storm.

I view superstitions as a derivative from the meaning of omens.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image75
            Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever heard the saying red skys at night sailors delight?

I find it true that when there is a bright red sunset the next days weather is usually mild.

Superstition or Omen?

Well you believe it is telling you of future events right?  That's considered an Omen.

It's fried eggs, or is it over easy?  I mean...., it could be one in the same.  But the "oldest and root" word of the two; is Omen.

2. Druid Dude profile image60
              Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

An ominous warning can be in your mailbox. A superstitious warning could too, but, I'll pay the electric bill, because, regardless of superstition, an ominous warning can come true. The buzzer proclaimed ominously that the plane was out of FUEL!!!

Great explanation.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

A superstition is considered an irrational belief arising from ignorance or fear while an omen is considered a sign of something to happen.

Arthur Fontes offered the darkened sky resulting from an oncoming storm as an example, yet that is not a superstition, but more of an observation.

Superstitions, by their very definition, have nothing to do with observations as they are irrational beliefs arising from ignorance or fear, hence it would appear that superstitions may be a derivative of something else, and for the most part appear to be derivatives of religions. smile

Alrighty then........

winkwink

Omens and Superstitions are one in the same to me.  One in the modern form now has bared new meaning.  Ok.  Now what? 

It's semantics.roll 

However, whether someone believes that crossroads are the best place for black magic or not, is entirely different matter.  I would like to discuss that.  You might want to quote other people, if you want to chat about semantics.  As you can tell, it isn't my thing.smile

Perhaps, a dictionary is in order.

Seems more of a misunderstanding of definitions, kind of like the misunderstanding you had between secular and separate. wink 

Feel free to discuss irrational beliefs. No one is stopping you. That's what this forum is all about.  smile

Oh I cannot stop laughing from your last post over in the angel forum.  Oh your a funny fella.

Okay now, lets get serious.lollollol
                  Okay I'm ready now.

People have differences of opinions about terminology all day, everyday, 365 days a year.  Big deal.  IT's SEMANTICS!!!  Lighten up.  I don't really care about your personal definition of the word or any term for that matter.  Big deal.  It is nothing personal.  I don't like to debate semantics. 

It is my belief that it does no good, and serves no purpose, and my "meaning of life" deems it to be a waste my breath, if I were to argue or start debating semantics with you.  Big deal!  Again, it is what it is.  Get over it.  There are plenty of people who like to argue that kind of stuff.  I'm not one of them.

With that all said and understood hopefully, I do like what you said here, "Feel free to discuss irrational beliefs. No one is stopping you. That's what this forum is all about."  I find that something to debate is my meaning.

First of all: I wasn't aware that YOU were HubPages. 
                  Secondly: I wasn't aware that I needed YOUR permission to discuss something in the forums.
                  Third: Well now that we know, thank you for the permission.  I'm much relieved!lol

I'm glad you find me humorous, even when I'm not trying. Of course, that says more about you than me.

Many often claim semantics when they don't have a grasp of the English language.

I never offer personal definitions of words that are already clearly defined.  I can only conclude you don't care about using correct definitions.

I would agree with you, if in fact you were actually debating semantics. But, like you say, it is what it is.

2. Druid Dude profile image60
              Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Beelz. Little wordy.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Perhaps, but I wouldn't use the term 'omen' in that context.

As well, the link in the OP and the comments there were referring to superstitious beliefs. smile

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Yes.  And,?????

3. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

I do believe in Omens.  Although I would call it an awereness of one's surroundings.

4. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I only go for the good luck omens or whatever mostly cause I always welcome more good luck. No black cat has ever brought bad luck thinking this way big_smile (good thing too as my kitty visitor is a black one, she visits everyone on my block).

5. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Do you believe in Omens?

It has no reality; it is simply being superstitious.

6. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Things happening in threes is a partly a mathematical result of how we think about doing anything.  Every action has a  beginning a middle and an end.  It is primary way of connectiong things 'as we see them' - and fractals (I believe) work on the mathemetical progression of threes, but I am not going to look it up for this.  Because it is our perception just means we are looking for it - the three deaths on the table is just how they are seen, over a period of time there are huge numbers and they will come in one's, two's three's and so on - we just note the three's.

Omens specifically are generated by looking for some kind of guidance when we don't know what to do next. If three crows flying overhead mean go south when you are looking for 'guidance' it just means you don't notice all the many different numbers that fly over you every day - until you look.  To believe itmeans something you would have to believe in pre-destination in one of its guises.

7. IntimatEvolution profile image68

That's a very common sense approach.  I understand what your saying.  But I do think there are those instances that still need to be looked at.

8. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...that 'things happening in 3's comes to mind for me'...i don't like it...unless of course it is good stuff.

Did you get a chance to read what AlternatePoet wrote in the midst of the mayhem?  I found it very interesting at least.  They brought up the point that the 3's, might be a mathematical thought process natural to human beings.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yea...i did...it's more on emotional level when the 3's are very close in timing, and close to the heart, etc....like Rawlus' post....the intellectual take on it makes sense.

9. IntimatEvolution profile image68

It is more than disagreeing with me.  For the last two days, you've been obsessed with my posts.  And my posts only.

I'm done with you following me around, and being antagonistic.  We disagree, fine.  If that is all it is, then this is no big deal now is it? 

If your stalking me is as innocence as YOU claim it to be, Hubpages well see it as such I'm sure. 

But I'm tired of you picking fights with me, to pick fights.  I'm tired of you following me around.  If I wanted a pet puppy, I'd go out and get one.  However, I don't want one.

By the way, thanks alot for turning this post into mayhem yet again.  You like highjacking threads for your own selfish purposes don't you?  Well......, that's against the rules also. 

It's not all about you Beezie.

10. IntimatEvolution profile image68

I wonder if it is our natural instinct to want to perceive it as an Omen?  Although, many scholars believe that humans don't have natural instincts.  However, I believe that we do. 

I wonder if there is some truth to the idea that humans have a natural instinct "to want" or "to believe," like a built in coping mechanism perhaps.

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Intimate - We do much much more than that - to operate every day we 'believe' a million things, like the stairs will be outside the door when you open it, the bus will come to a specific point etc - nothing is actually rock solid certain but we 'believe' in some things completely.  When we come home and look into our room, we don't 'see' them, we bring up the picture of the room from memory, that is how we see any tiny thing that has moved or changed, then we start recording what we see.  It is all only to do with information processing - even deja vu (I read in the Science Journal) is where the timing of our thinking goes out, and our (auto)memory kicks in a millisecond late and gets behind what we are actually seeing - so we are seeing what we remember a millisecond before.

Most, if not all, 'strange' stuff has to do with the way the mind, eyes and other senses 'work' mechanically or electrically.

11. profile image52

Do you believe in Omens?

It has no reality; it is simply being superstitious and treading on the part of devolution in this age of scientific advancement.

12. profile image52

"an omen is considered a sign of something to happen"

of course without any scientific basis or without any clear Revelation basis; hence it is simply superstition.

Or is the superstition an omen?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)