jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it true that its difficult to handle and train female pets than the male ones

1. purnimamoh1982 profile image77
    purnimamoh1982posted 5 years ago

Is it true that its difficult to handle and train female pets than the male ones?

2. littlepiggy profile image60
    littlepiggyposted 5 years ago

I can only draw on my personal experience.

My wife and I have four cats -- 2 boys and 2 girls. The girls are sisters and are about 5 years old now. The boys are brothers and are about 2.5 years old.

What I will say is that the girls have been harder to handle in some senses. They tend to be moodier and quicker to hiss and scratch. For instance, when the boys grow tired of being pet, they just get up and walk away (one of our boys though, Sherwood, doesn't ever seem to grow tired of this). But one of our girls, Juanita, sometimes will scratch us to let us know she's done, instead. Or when they run out the front door -- the boys tend to let us just pick them up and bring them back in, but the girls don't like that as much (the girls are also heftier) and we have to sort of corral them inside -- more on their own terms.

The girls are more territorial -- they carve out their space and really try to hold it down, and we try to respect that. The boys are more of the exploring type (I think this holds true in general) -- less territorial over areas at home, but more likely to try to get out and explore.

I should note that the girls were spayed fairly late -- they were going on 3 years old. The boys were neutered around 6 months or so. Generally, the boys are a bit more docile, but this may have something to do with it. An example of how this manifests itself -- when guests come over, especially strangers, they tend to see the boys as friendly and the girls as stand-offish. Which isn't how we see them, but I can understand the perception.

I will say that both the boys and the girls have gone through "spraying" phases. I once thought this was mostly for boys only, but the girls sprayed a good deal during their first 2-3 years. They don't do it anymore (as far as I know, anyway!). We still find a nice pee present from either of the boys from time to time!

3. Ann1Az2 profile image66
    Ann1Az2posted 5 years ago

I would say that depends on the animal. I can say that I know they used a male Lassie for years because they said male collies were easier to train. When I rode horses, I always liked geldings better because mares are so moody. On the other hand, stallions can be a real hand full.

I've had both female and male dogs and while the males have been somewhat easier to train, the females can be really loving and loyal.

As far as cats go, both male and females cats are pretty much not trainable - cats only do what they want to do when they want to do it. If they appear to be trained, it's because they want to! I have 4, 3 males and 1 female. The girl is just as loving as the males, but prefers to be petted and not held. This doesn't mean she is less trained. It just means she has a different personality.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

It probably depends on the species, breed of that species and then the individual.  All I know is we have had many many wonderful dogs over the years and the females were hardest to house train and train in general.  They seemed more stubborn and more likely to be sneaky.  The "boys' would just do bad things right in front of you then it was easy to scold them and teach them not to do it.

It was like the girls dogs were just laughing at us doing what they wanted when no one was looking!  Just our experience with dogs anyway.