jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Does anyone know how to open kittens eyes at 5wks Old?

1. brittvan22 profile image82
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

Does anyone know how to open kittens eyes at 5wks Old?

Ok, my baby sister's cat had kittens 5 wks ago. My sister is on vacation and I am taking care of the kittens. One of the baby kittens eyes is completely shut, at first glance I thought it was dead. It is alive, but I can't get the eyes open. It is a sickly kitten and I have given it extra care, I used a wash cloth and water and it won't bulge, what do I need to do? Any suggestions?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6949244_f260.jpg

2. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Is the eye being held closed by a yellow or sticky substance? If so the cat needs to see a vet ASAP! If it has an eye infection not only will it be contagious to the other kittens but it could lose it's site. All kittens should be seen by a vet anyway. Also you can continue to use warm water and a rag to gently clean the eye, but do NOT try to pry the eye open. Also just some unwanted advice for your sister, spay the cat so that it doesn't continue to produce more and more kittens when thousands are unwanted already.

brittvan22posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, it died on the way to the 2nd animal hospital 40 miles away. sad had an upper respiratory infections.

2. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry to hear. Make sure the others get a checkup in case they have it also and just aren't showing symptoms. Some cats can go a week or more before the symptoms show up.

3. brittvan22 profile image82

I will Monday it will be quite the adventure the otr cats are fiesty. Last car ride was memorable! The mom cat was looking at me after I returned like she knew, I apologized to her. She cuddled the otr kitten.

3. Princesscool profile image39
    Princesscoolposted 5 years ago

Kittens usually take 7-10 days to open the eyes. Since in  case it is 5 weeks you should take them  to the veterinary ASAP. Please do not force to open the eyes as it could cause permanent damage to the eyes.

Thanks for your input I appreciate it, she passed on the way to the vet.

4. brittvan22 profile image82
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

I would like to thanks the wonderful ladies who answered the questions, I was truly terrified as I am a new pet owner after my Mom's unexpected death. It was my baby sister's kitten and I did not want my sister to go through another loss so soon after Mom and my uncle (who was a father figure to us) both died in May and June.  In your short, but concise answers I have learned a great deal and been sparked to do the research. I really truly appreciate it.
    Brittany Vanessa (Strong Butterfly!)

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for your losses. I hope things work out for you and your family.

2. brittvan22 profile image82

Thanks I hope so, too!

working