jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

When did you get your first dog ?

1. afriqnet profile image51
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

When did you get your first dog ?

My friend got his first dog when we were in college. He was a cute and very stubborn dachshund. he would bark at night in the hostel corridors. I thought then owning a dog was cumbersome and I was not ready then. After leaving college I decided to own a dog. When did you get your first dog?

2. innerspin profile image91
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

Aged eight, I brought a stray dog home. Mum alerted the police and the owners came to collect him that night. I was heartbroken. My parents decided to buy me a dog for my ninth birthday, and as a surprise took me to a pet shop which had tiny black puppies not much larger than a hamster. " Pick one!" they said. Man, I'd wanted a German Shepherd, but thought if I said no to this offer, I'd never get a dog. We took a little squirmy pup home, named her Tess, and she proved to be a delightful, funny, faithful pet for many years.

3. JayeWisdom profile image93
    JayeWisdomposted 5 years ago

I've actually written a hub about this topic because I doubt many people wait until the age of 61 to obtain their first pet!  Because I had no pets as a child and didn't really wish for any, I didn't realize the joy a dog can give its human friend until forced to retire early due to health reasons. When I could be home most of the time, I suddenly wanted a dog--a decision that startled everyone who knew me and even surprised me.

I acted on my impulse and never regretted it for a moment.  My dog gives me so much joy that anything I can do for her is not enough!  I only wish I'd known the sheer delight of loving (and being loved unconditionally by) a dog all my life.

1. agilitymach profile image97
      agilitymachposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Grats to you on learning that lesson though!!  I bet your dog is very blessed to have such a loving owner. smile

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

My mom got me a dog when I was about 10 years old.  She was with me for about 5 years, then ran off and disappeared.  We never found her.

As a married adult, we have always had dogs. For us, two is ideal, we have 3 and have had 4.  But, because we like large dogs, 4 is too tiring to care for and expensive.

I always joke that if there was reincarnation, I would want to come back as one of our dogs. They have a great life, lots of attention and love.  And they give it right back too!

5. agilitymach profile image97
    agilitymachposted 5 years ago

We got our first family dog when I was four.  I got my first dog in college - at about age 22 or so.  My hub "The Best Six Dollars Ever Spent" (a hubnugget winner) is about him. smile

6. Opulent1 profile image61
    Opulent1posted 5 years ago

My first dog was named Rover and I got him at about 5. I was living in the country and he was my buddy. Sadly, he got onto the country road and was hit by a car. I still think of him to this day.

working