jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Is Capstar safe for pregnant/nursing cats or not?

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Is Capstar safe for pregnant/nursing cats or not?

My vet seems to think it is ok to use Capstar on a nursing mother to keep fleas at bay.  I also gave a dose of Capstar to my cat before realizing she is pregnant and now I am concerned.  Other sources I've read though say to not give CapStar to a pregnant or nursing cat so I am more confused than ever.  Fleas it would seem to me, would be a larger risk for tiny kittens.  Capstar only kills adults and you have to administer it periodically to keep fleas away unlike other harsher medicines.  Debating on whether to continue the capstar or not - thoughts or experience with it?

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Our vet has recommended in the past to use NO flea medications while pregnant or nursing. Just dip the cat in dawn, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse. Much safer!

ChristinSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've heard this too, a little afraid of traumatizing her though at this point she's very pregnant.  I would probably also need a suit of armor wink lol.  I know my mom used baby shampoo on kittens before to get rid of them though.  Thanks smile

3. zsobig profile image81
    zsobigposted 5 years ago

I am 100% sure that you can treat your cat with Frontline even during pregnancy AND nursing. When my cat was pregnant I had to treat her against fleas and I did a lot of research and asked tons of vets to make sure I won't hurt the mom or the babies. They were/are all fine smile.
    But to be frank, I don't have too much good experiences with Frontline nowadays, as it seems to be ineffective against fleas lately. Among my hubs there's one (http://zsobig.hubpages.com/hub/Help-Fle … ur-animals ) with a few ideas on what can you use/do in your home to get rid of fleas as none of the mentioned products are harmful to your pregnant cat - except for the Bob Martin spot-on; I have no idea whether it is allowed to be used on pregnant/nursing cats or not. Otherwise I can recommend this Bob Martin product too, although I am aware of the fact that loads of people dislike it and say its harmful for your cat. I've been recently using it and it proved to be very effective and there were no drawbacks - both of our cats are 100% fine.
    I have to admit, if I were you I'd still buy a Frontline Spot-on, treat my cat with that, plus buy all possible products with which you can treat your home and the living environment of the cat (especially the flea trap). With this you will not hurt your pet and you can still catch/kill the fleas at the same time.
    Good luck and be a happy 'grandmom' smile

ChristinSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  We stopped using Frontline and switched because Frontline no longer worked on our animals after a couple of years sad - bummer.  I will check out your hub for other ideas though - thanks.

2. zsobig profile image81
      zsobigposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I really hope I will be/I was able to help! Still, it won't hurt to ask a few vets in your area what do they think about the Bob Martin products and contact the producer itself to ask whether it is allowed to use the products on pregnant cats or not.