jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Do cats have human tendencies?

1. brittvan22 profile image82
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

Do cats have human tendencies?

If you do not let your cat in the house, would you surmise he would climb on the door and knock on it? Have you had experiences where your cat has had human tendencies if so, what were they?

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image76
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

of all the four legged animals i have had personal experience with, cat are probably the most human like. they have human like tendencies, intelligence, humor, likes and dislikes. if given the option the far prefer to drink their beverages out of glasses rather than bowls on the floor and dishes on the table rather than dishes on the floor. they enjoy iced water rather than room temp water. they love variety rather than the same thing day after day. they are thinkers and philosophizers, they are outgoing and social or moody and loners or both. they are jokers and clowns or serious and dignified as any royalty.or both...i have one lady who is as royal as they come, will not stoop to eat with the boys, or play with any but one youngster...and yet one day i caught her playing 007...sneaking along the ramp, every few steps peaking up to see where her target was then ducking down again...when she ran out of ramp she checked to see the distance she had to run and where her target had got to, then raced to where he was (a much older male cat) and swatted him on the rump and spun away to race back to the ramp. she was safely hidden by the time he came back to earth and had spun to see who or what got him. it was delightful to watch, especially coming from her.
    i have been rescuing cats for roughly 12 yrs and currently have 16. i have learned much about their behaviours and attitudes. they are very much like us in their ways.

brittvan22posted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol wow. i used to think they werent but i have seen knocking on the door, rocking in the rocking chair, etc, name recognition, outsmarting, etc.

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image76
      tlmcgaa70posted 5 years agoin reply to this

cats also kiss. dogs jst lck u all ovr the fce. cts lern to kiss by gently biting ur lips, licking them or actually taking ur lips between their lips and holding it in imitation of our way of kissing. they hold hands with us and pat face an touch us

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised. The cats we have always love visiting the toilet. They scratch on the door instead of knocking on it. Also the wild cats become more friendly around us when they spend time with us.

I have actually seen 3 different cats knock on the door, its hilarious. They climb the screen and actually place their paw on the door and hit, soon as they knock, they lost their balance and fell with a surprised look on their faces.

2. lburmaster profile image82
      lburmasterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's adorable! I love cat videos like that!

4. Ann1Az2 profile image68
    Ann1Az2posted 5 years ago

I would say they do. I have four. They all like attention such as petting, brushing and even talking. I have one who loves to be petted but won't be held more than 15 seconds. I have another that will lay on my lap, but would prefer not to be petted while he's on my lap. I have another who would be content to lay on my lap continuously. I have another that talks to me every morning and periodically throughout the day.

So, what human doesn't like being petted and talked to? What teenage girl doesn't like to have her hair brushed? What man doesn't like his wife or girlfriend to set in his lap now and then?

5. AlexK2009 profile image92
    AlexK2009posted 5 years ago

Perhaps the questions should be "Do Humans have cat tendencies"?

lol true.

6. JamesGrantSmith profile image59
    JamesGrantSmithposted 4 years ago

Some cats do mimic humans, my aunties cat opens doors if it can, usually kitchen doors, it is also selective on were it sits, and if its blanket has been moved it will refuse to sit on it until its in its usual space.