jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you have a cat that meows or scratches at the door?

1. WheelerWife profile image89
    WheelerWifeposted 2 years ago

Do you have a cat that meows or scratches at the door?

What tips do you have for changing their behavior?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12626826_f260.jpg

2. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

The simple answer is that cats are cats. They want to explore their world, and we can learn from them and their curiosity. If you're looking for a cat who doesn't scratch at the door, get a dog who scratches at the door lol..

3. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

I see you already have a hub about this so this is my two cents.
    Your cat is communicating with you. They can't speak so they must meow or scratch to get your attention. If you don't like the scratching, perhaps glue on the lower part, a soft piece of cloth.
    A hanging bell may be amusing for you and your cat. They will tap it out of curiosity so you may hear them.
    Not much to do to stop this unless you de claw them, which I don't advise doing; or simply  ignore them.

4. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 2 years ago

My cat meows to be let in/ out of kitchen and sitting room. However if no one obeys her, she starts scratching at the door.  If we distract her she stops, then we wait a while and then we will open the door to let her in/out. We don't want her associating that type of behaviour with a result.  It's still a work in progress.  smile

5. Carola Finch profile image96
    Carola Finchposted 2 years ago

My cats do this when they want my attention or they want assurance that I am there.

6. Carb Diva profile image94
    Carb Divaposted 2 years ago

I hate to be the Grinch in this delightful conversation, but the way that we "solved" not having our kitty scratch at the door is this--he is not allowed to go outside. Ever. This might seem harsh or cruel, but honestly, kitties do NOT need to roam outside to be happy. As long as they have a stimulating environment indoors and can look outside, perch on window sills, etc. they are perfectly at peace.

Our veterinarian totally supports our decision to have a 100 percent indoor cat. There are just too many predators where we live (coyotes, raccoons, etc.). Car traffic is not a problem for us, but for those living in town this is also certainly a consideration. Statistics have proven that cats that stay in doors live much longer.

working