jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Is there a "smartest dog in the world"?

1. Ari Lamstein profile image81
    Ari Lamsteinposted 5 years ago

Is there a "smartest dog in the world"?

I am curious if there is a world record, or some kind of competition, to determine who the smartest dog in the world is (or was).  Can anyone help with this?

2. PDXKaraokeGuy profile image88
    PDXKaraokeGuyposted 5 years ago

There's actually a listing of dog intelligence. however, my dog Bella is the smartest.

3. Shaddie profile image90
    Shaddieposted 5 years ago

I think some breeds may be more inclined to having the ability and understanding that we acknowledge as "smartness" over others, particularly herding breeds which are designed to work closely with humans. These breeds include Australian cattledogs, Border collies, and German shepherds, and have proven themselves to be very aware of subtle cues and possess an impressive capacity to remember.

But there are many dogs out there, purebred and mix breed, who save peoples' lives and serve our country in war, by either following strict orders or using their own intuition. What really defines smartness? I've never heard of a miniature poodle being able to track down an escaped convict, nor have I heard of a Borzoi  being a therapy dog. It takes a special dog to be able to know how to follow a trail accurately, in the same way it takes a special dog to be gentle at all times. Dogs were bred for different things, and they can be "smart" in many different ways.

1. OTEE profile image69
      OTEEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Shaddie- they can be smart in different ways.

4. Rosana Modugno profile image84
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

Technically, there can't be because you would have to test every other dog in the world to come up with the "smartest".  However, I am sure there is a smartest dog in a competition or a smartest breed.  But not just one dog.  Although my Coco is pretty close. lol

5. weestro profile image82
    weestroposted 5 years ago

I have two, neither qualify for this title..

6. OTEE profile image69
    OTEEposted 5 years ago

I think many others on this thread have said it all, "My _____ is the smartest". Insert your_dog_name in blank. smile

On a more serious note: as Shaddie has said, smartness comes in many forms, so there are competitions for various categories of skills: tracking, leaping, running, herding, obedience etc.