jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What does it mean when my cat walks around meowing for 20 minutes straight (on s

1. Critical Thinker1 profile image61
    Critical Thinker1posted 5 years ago

What does it mean when my cat walks around meowing for 20 minutes straight (on several occasions)?

After years of this behavior I have tried to give him anything I can think of that he may be "asking" for (food, water, new litter, attention, brushing, etc.). He seems to want to walk around and make noise. Am I missing something? Or is he just doing his thing?

2. Paige_H_Chen profile image68
    Paige_H_Chenposted 5 years ago

Awwwwww, he just wants a little cat friend

Critical Thinker1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have two cats! He plays with my dog and some cat toys. Maybe he's just entertaining himself?

3. profile image55
    tlmntim9posted 5 years ago

Sounds like estress to me, you know, mating season, S-E-X?

Well, he was neutered as a kitten and he's 5 now... so I don't think that its sex on his mind.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image62
    Lady Guinevereposted 5 years ago

Mine do that too sometimes.  I think they may be hearing another cat outside and are possibly talking to it.  They also see things that we humans do not and they may be talking to that too.  Sometimes I just think they are doing it to hear themselves meow.

I'm glad to hear other cats do this too! Sometimes it seems like he wants to hear how his meow sounds in different places (the stairs, the bath, etc.).

2. Lady Guinevere profile image62
      Lady Guinevereposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They also could be hearing mice, other rodents, snakes, bugs and who knows what else. We live in the woods and we have a crawlspace that I have set up for them for winter. They also do this outside too.  All mine are fixed too.

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

i think he is trying to get out of the house or looking for someone else. My cat has this problem too. Sometimes meowing for no reason in the house. The door is open, cat food is in front of her, etc. Later on, i realized that she wanted another member on our family to feed her. She wants every member of the family to feed her once a day. She doesn't accept the same person feeding her. Particular cat!

working