Why is it men don't pick up on subtle hints from women?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (26 posts)
  1. algarveview profile image74
    algarveviewposted 11 years ago

Why is it men don't pick up on subtle hints from women?

They do, but they ignore them? They don't really listen? They don't care? Or women really have to be straight forward at the risk of injuring some of men's feelings, which usually women are trying to avoid by giving the subtle hints?

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Why do women not just say what they want instead  of playing stupid guessing games.  The equivalent of going to John O' Groats via Land's End.

1. dashingscorpio profile image82
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point! Beating around the bush leaves a lot of room for conjecture. Adults shouldn't be "dropping hints" like children do with their parents! Men have no interest in "mind reading" or playing the game (What did she mean?). Cut to the chase.

2. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I should have added that, some women are as subtle as a brick in the back of the head.

3. karthikkash profile image83
    karthikkashposted 11 years ago

Haha.. Actually.. Why don't women just open their mouths and just say it straight what they want? It is so easier than guessing different possible scenarios smile

4. flacoinohio profile image78
    flacoinohioposted 11 years ago

I think it is because women like it when their man can read the subtle hints, it makes them feel special or wanted when men are attentive. Although it is not always a two way street, there are a lot of women that do not pay attention to their man, especially after they have been dating or married for awhile.  A man or a woman who stop paying attention to one another will start to miss the subtle hints especially if there are issues within the in the relationship that are unresolved.

5. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I think one of the reasons a lot of women prefer to "drop hints" is they want to make it seem as though the man came up with the idea on his own. You see this all of the time with marriage proposals. A woman wants to get married but rather than her asking her man to marry her she tries to find ways to (put the words in his mouth). Apparently asking for what you want is "unromantic" and the thought of being rejected is a real ego buster!
    Planting the “seed” is a (subtle) art of "manipulation".
    Another issue is if a woman asks for what she wants and gets it there remains a "sour taste" in her mouth because she feels she should not have had to ask! She wants you to (want to do) whatever it is on your own. "I shouldn't have to ask you to blah blah!"
    My mother was one of the rare exceptions. She taught me the following. "If it ain't worth asking for then it's not worth having."

1. karthikkash profile image83
      karthikkashposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think our brains are simply wired differently, that's all smile Most men can think in just one way and expect people to be direct. Probably that is one reason we expect women to be straight with us instead of "dropping hints".

6. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 11 years ago

I guess that maybe the men are not interested, and therefore they will ignore them.  A man who is interested usually makes that known.  It's frustrating for us females sometimes because it feels like we have no control.

1. dashingscorpio profile image82
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A woman has control by asking for what she wants. Having to (wait around) and (guess) if her man is on the same page makes her powerless. Whether the answer is yes or no you are then free to decide if it's a "deal breaker" or not. Direct saves time!

7. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 11 years ago

Most men have made a move on a woman when he was just SURE that she was sending him hints, just to find himself in a very awkward position when she says "Oh I'm so sorry I didn't mean for you to take anything I said to mean that I wanted to be with you in that way, sorry"   .......It's mortifying!

After that, some men prefer to READ nothing into what a woman says, and just take it for face value.  That goes for actions as well.  Maybe a girl walks her dog pass your house everyday, because she simply likes walking her dog, not because she has a crush on you...or maybe she does.

8. RelentlessWriter profile image58
    RelentlessWriterposted 11 years ago

This answer depends on the situation. If you are a female and you are dropping hints to a guy and he isn't acting on them then he is either: A) Not good with women or reading people in general and the girl is going to have to be more forward. B) He isn't interested, so he isn't "listening" and there for he doesn't "care". C) He thinks it is too good to be true that a woman like yourself would be showing interest in him. So he has self-doubt about it and second guesses the hints that were dropped and is too nervous to act on them.

1. William Robb profile image60
      William Robbposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lol just thought are they trying to drop hints when footballs on talk about an automatic fail lol

9. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I always believe in direct approach.

Sometimes subtle hints can be misleading as getting a wrong interpretation. So, it is always wise to be direct about it. I believe we can take the hurts.

10. Anurag Silswal profile image57
    Anurag Silswalposted 11 years ago

Thats why he is a man big_smile
    Maturity at some level and kiddish also sometimes.
    Sometimes you have to actually say what you want rather than giving hints to him.

1. Marcus99 profile image58
      Marcus99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

A little bit of me just died inside with that answer.

2. Anurag Silswal profile image57
      Anurag Silswalposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh thats Bad!
      lame!

11. Rfordin profile image80
    Rfordinposted 11 years ago

Men take a question or phrase at face value and move on. Women tend to analyze and surmise there own "stories" from the information presented. Since woman are capable of "catching a hint" we think men should be too.... not so much.

When speaking with a man be as straight forward as possible.....if they do try and "read between the lines" chances are it will be a totally different inturpertation of what you were trying to say in the first place.

Ehhh they are just wired that way.....

1. William Robb profile image60
      William Robbposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good answer i intended to say pretty much the same.
      Men just dont get subtle hints maybe even any subtlety, thats a generalisation ofcourse but true enough.
      I dont know many men but i know i am very logical.

12. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

My husband told me years ago he was not a mind reader.  I took him at his word. I tell him what I want.

1. Marcus99 profile image58
      Marcus99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dang. I was just going to answer this thread with that gem. Dang, and double dang.

13. Ayu Bi profile image86
    Ayu Biposted 10 years ago

I think they get it but they ignore them for well, all sorts of reasons.

14. DubstepMaker profile image61
    DubstepMakerposted 10 years ago

Because women are always playing these weird mind games and living in some fantasy world that is totally relationship focused and then they expect men to exist in the same psychological realm as them, when honestly, men just want a women who is loving and supportive and doesn't constantly nag us with all this emotional relationship stuff.

Be that for your man, without demanding anything in return, and you will have a man that is totally tuned into you and showers you with love.

15. Bruce A. Beaudet profile image75
    Bruce A. Beaudetposted 10 years ago

Because the hint is subtle. It is a widely held view among hinting experts that when subtlety is added, it ceases to be a hint.   Ok, I just made that up.

The premise of your question assumes that men don't get it.  Perhaps,
    some women rely on hinting because they lack assertiveness?  So, is the issue that some men don't get it or some women aren't assertive?  It's probably a bit of both.

16. Danwe profile image60
    Danweposted 10 years ago

Are men blind? Do they see these hints and choose to ignore them? Why is it that women understand each other and men don't have a clue? read more

17. Penny G profile image60
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

It just seems that woman are so much more in tune to their surroundings. No I think their are some things written about this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)