jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How far can pets replace humans?

1. A_K profile image82
    A_Kposted 4 years ago

How far can pets replace humans?

Do you treat your dog as your human companion? Will you bereave her death? Arrange funeral? Do you celebrate doggie birthday? Do you dress up your dog? How emotional/sensitive you are to your pet?

2. Escobana profile image73
    Escobanaposted 4 years ago

In so far that for the fact that I can't have children, I love my cats to pieces. They are my surrogate children.

However I don't dress them, forget to celebrate their birthday sometimes and I talk to them all the time even though it makes me look stupid.

I would not arrange a funeral but I would cry for days on end. They are truly more than just cats to me and they fill my home with a whole lot of joy and companionship.

1. A_K profile image82
      A_Kposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer which enlightens me more on this topic.

3. twig22bend profile image77
    twig22bendposted 4 years ago

I don't feel that pets can replace humans, They can give great comfort to someone
    without demanding anything in return from you. A pet loves you unconditionally, which can't be said for a human being in most cases.

I think that people who treat  their pets like human beings are not trying to replace
    anyone. They are just demonstrating their love for their pet. I suppose when you have something of value like a pet you tend to treat them that way.

There is an attachment developed after caring for a pet for many years and you want for them to be cared for just as you would want to be cared for.

1. A_K profile image82

Thanks for your insightful answer.

4. bydojo profile image81
    bydojoposted 4 years ago

They don't replace humans.

I have 2 dogs at home. I love them A LOT, am paying a lot of money to keep them safe, well fed and healthy (they're both 14-15 year old, so we're expecting the ... unexpected). They love us and we love them as is they were some sort of furry kids for us. They are members of our family in a way, they have privileges and we do communicate, even if non-verbally from their part.

We do not dress them, we don't celebrate their birthdays, since both were rescued from the streets, so we have no clue about their birth dates. When they'll pass away (which will be a VERY hard time for us), we'll make arrangements to bury them somewhere nice.

We have never used them as 'human replacement', we get along with people well, have friends we love and like meeting new people. The love we share with our pets is indeed special, but it's not 'human' wink

1. A_K profile image82

Your information will help me learn more on pets. Thanks for your answer.

working