jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What's the worst thing about adopting a dog?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image74
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years ago

What's the worst thing about adopting a dog?

2. Theophanes profile image97
    Theophanesposted 4 years ago

Unforeseen problems with health, genetics, behavior, temperament, etc. These things can be completely hidden until well after said pet is brought home. By this time your whole family may love a dog that is so problematic it forces itself to become a hard decision.

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

If they are abused, you don't know what the dog will respond to. Some dogs react poorly if they hear a loud noise. Others are frightened of boots or men. It can sometimes add stress to the family and it is a fear they almost never outgrow.

4. Rosana Modugno profile image85
    Rosana Modugnoposted 4 years ago

Adopted you mean from a puppy mill or adopted from a humane society or adopted from a friend/family?  Unless you get a dog from a breeder like I did, where you know both parents, siblings, medical history, you are forsaking that information when adopting it from the places I mentioned.  Still a good idea to adopt though, especially if they're younger, although I'd be careful with the abused dogs.  Unless you are "dog whisperer", I wouldn't try it.

5. agilitymach profile image97
    agilitymachposted 4 years ago

I think the best thing a pet home can do is save a life.  The only people who should be going to breeders, IMO, are those who need a "bred for purpose" dog.  People wanting pets should always adopt.  Any issues can be overcome, and there are GREAT, GREAT older dogs out there needing homes.  Shelters are loaded with pure breeds, mixes and all sorts of wonderful dogs, as are breed rescues.  There's no reason not to adopt.

6. Mel Jay profile image89
    Mel Jayposted 4 years ago

The worst thing about adopting a dog is not being able to adopt all of the dogs that need help, only taking one or two.  There are so many neglected, unwanted, abused dogs that need loving stable homes. If I could I would try to give all of them happy loving homes.

1. agilitymach profile image97
      agilitymachposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great answer!!!

7. ptosis profile image71
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

The WORST thing about adopting a dog is having to give it up because it is not a right fit.  I mean that it was abused or neglected to the point that it becomes an unadoptable dog for a person who live in a small apartment complex and is afraid that the dog will bite the neighborhood children. I know. I wrote a hub called "Adopting a Problem Dog Diary" and the former owner is totally INSANE.

To avoid problems go to shelter because they check the dog's behavior for things like biting, snarling, mentally snapping, etc. Check out the picture of the glove on a stick to see what I mean.

Now I have adopted a Chug - he is the BEST thing ever happened to me on four legs. I am very lucky to have Chuggers, (sniff*)