jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Do you think animals should be trained for our entertainment?

1. stuff4kids profile image99
    stuff4kidsposted 4 years ago

Do you think animals should be trained for our entertainment?

I'm not thinking of teaching Fido to roll over, I'm thinking more of travelling circuses, chimps tea parties, animals in the movies. Given the state of nature today, shouldn't we maybe show a bit more respect? Or is it sometimes okay - or always okay - to treat animals this way?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8372148_f260.jpg

2. profile image60
    threenornsposted 4 years ago

if the training is done humanely and with respect to the animal's abilities and limits and the animal is being cared for AND the animal is one of a species that enjoys the attention, absolutely no problem.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image99
      Melissa A Smithposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great response.

3. webdesignsbyapw profile image75
    webdesignsbyapwposted 4 years ago

I think it's wrong to do this. They aren't in their natural environment. On top of that, animals are extremely sensitive to what's going on around them.

1. ChristinS profile image97
      ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. How arrogant of humans to think animals should be ripped out of their environments and used for these purposes.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Sometimes okay. The animals have to enjoy it and be treated fairly. However, then we would have to come up with a sense of rating happiness in animals. You can usually tell when dogs or cats are happy. But other animals can be more difficult to define.

1. profile image60
      threenornsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

oh, that's not difficult - an unhappy animal is not going to perform eagerly and willingly.  if the animal has to be cajoled, beaten, threatened, and tricked into performing, clearly it's not enjoying it.

2. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Not everything is black and white. Especially behaviors.

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

No, I think training animals purely for our entertainment is cruel.  We take the inherent dignity of the animal away for our own amusement and I have a huge problem with that . And it is one of many reasons I have never been to a circus.

1. profile image60
      threenornsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

that thinking is arrogant in itself .  i would put money on it that once we learn how to communicate across species, the first thing we'll learn is how to swear in "dog", "cat", and "pigeon" and right after that will be dirty jokes.

2. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well gee thank threenorns, what a lovely response.

6. DDE profile image27
    DDEposted 4 years ago

i don't agree on animals being trained for any entertainment it is wrong for animals to be treated this way. After all they are animals you can't change their character or habits  in fact one shouldn't even go to that point.

working