Why does my 11yro house trained dog leave a small poop on her bed during the nig

1. profile image53
    Pet Problemsposted 3 years ago

Why does my 11yro house trained dog leave a small poop on her bed during the night?

My 11yro Lab whose well house trained poops on her bed while we're asleep or sometimes on the outside doormat when we go out, its never a full poop, only a part of one like its deliberate?! She's only allowed inside when someone's home and knows she has to stay on her mat if she comes inside. I know its a behavioural thing as she goes through stages of doing it a lot then it stops then it starts again but I'm not sure why? Can someone help shed some light please?

2. hoverstate profile image73
    hoverstateposted 3 years ago

Dogs poop for many different reasons. I don't know exactly why your dog is doing this but can tell you that my dog poops when he's:
    - nervous
    - feeling sick
    - anxious

3. mybffpet profile image59
    mybffpetposted 3 years ago

It's common for older dogs to have accidents in the house. They can have periods of confusion and forget where they are, especially at night in the dark. I doubt she is doing it on purpose to upset you. She should be checked by a vet to be sure there is nothing physically wrong. Dogs can have Irritable bowl syndrome and other disorders  just like humans.
    Try to be patient with her as she ages, the accidents are probably also upsetting to her. Here is a link to an article that may be helpful http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/question … -the-house

working