jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

why would a house trained dog of 7 years suddenly start urinating and defecating

1. profile image44
    trmullis29posted 7 years ago

why would a house trained dog of 7 years suddenly start urinating and defecating in the house?

My father adopted this dog from a shelter.  The dog came from an abusive home.  It was very attached to my dad.  My dad was dying of cancer and we moved my dad from Florida  to Georgia.  The dog would not use the bathroom outside for long periods of time.  Now the dog refuses to go outside and will urinate and defecate inside no matter the punishment.

2. Maria Cecilia profile image76
    Maria Ceciliaposted 7 years ago

Maybe the dog wanted attention. Bring him to walk every morning and everynight so that he'll remember that eliminating was never done at home...

3. Austinstar profile image88
    Austinstarposted 7 years ago

Please don't punish pets for doing natural acts. They don't understand.
    Simply take your dog outside and wait until he does whatever and then take him inside. Repeat morning and night. The dog is trying to tell you something.
    If they do urinate or defecate indoors, clean it up right away and spray it with a deterrent spray or use a mild vinegar to clean it with which will leave a smell the dog does not like.

4. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 7 years ago

He / She is maybe ill perhaps a trip to the vet may clear up your problem

5. profile image50
    figure_skating_<3posted 7 years ago

If he came from the pound then maybe he is scared that the dog catcher might hurt him or take him back to the pound.\

Or maybe there is somthing outside that he doesn't like.

6. Tirzah Laughs profile image82
    Tirzah Laughsposted 7 years ago

He could be ill. 

He's also stressed out, he's moved, his owner is dying.  Dogs mourn just like people.

He needs to be retrained as if he's a puppy.   He's confused, frightened and depressed.

Get him a vet visit, make sure he doesn't have a UTI or some other problem.   

Then clean the house with a dog cleaner.   Not regular cleaner, it'll get rid of the pee smell.  Even if you can't smell it, he can.

Then retrain him like with a puppy.  He's obviously either physically or emotionally upset.

There also may be something in the yard that scares him.  My sister's dog won't pee outside if there are deer.  He's afraid of them.

Try taking him out on leash out the front door and walking him.  Most male dogs will pee on trees.

7. profile image0
    nomadicasianposted 7 years ago

Confine your dog in the doghouse for the time being until all things get back to normal for the animal to train to do its thing outside. Because animal waste causes more serious harm or disease if not taken properly.

working