jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

If there weren't cats, would cat people be dog people?

1. kerbev profile image69
    kerbevposted 3 years ago

If there weren't cats, would cat people be dog people?

If there weren't any cats, would the people who are cat people instead be dog people? Bunny people? Hamster people? Frog people? Or have no pets?

(I mean if there never were cats, not if they all just died off, because then I know cat people would be sad people.)

2. Link10103 profile image75
    Link10103posted 3 years ago

Just because cats wouldn't exist doesn't change the fact that dogs are still outdoor energetic animals. Some cat people might own a dog, but I would imagine they would go for another animal that has a similar personality to cats.

3. Kylyssa profile image96
    Kylyssaposted 3 years ago

I think there's too much crossover between animal lovers and cat people to make a very good guess.   

Dogs and cats have different daily care requirements and the choice of a cat rather than a dog can be based on that.  There's also the rental thing to consider.  Many people who rent can have cats and can't have dogs.

My guess is that some would have dogs but many would have some other pet with the qualities that they would have found attractive in cats.  Since that likely varies from person to person it would be hard to figure out which animals those would be.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

Interesting question. My guess is most "cat people" like me enjoy having cats around because they're playful, soft and cuddly, and independent enough not to require as attention as dogs. Of course, each cat has a different personality so some people might like them for other reasons. That said, I think the people who like those qualities in a pet would probably have found an animal with similar traits. If rabbits didn't enjoy chewing on things so much, that would be my choice.

5. danicole profile image79
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

No, I think perhaps a lot of cat people will not own pets. I think cat people relate to the personality of the animal. Cats are quiet, mysterious, independent and don't need as much attention/care as a dog. Cats are low-maintenance companions that are cute, friendly (most of the time) and chill. I would say a lot of cat people are introverted, type B people that lead relatively calm, peaceful lives.

6. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

if there is no cat, there would be tortoise people, slow and steady

7. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 3 years ago

I love all animals, but cats are my favorite. I for one can't be happy without a cat. I do love dogs but it is a different love. Have you ever considered the personality differences between dog people and cat people?

http://purrfectlove.net/2014/06/dog-lov … at-lovers/

While I consider myself a cat person, I am some where in the middle of the traits because I do love dogs as well. If cats didn't exist, yes I would own a dog but I would own just about any animal that was resonable to take care of. haha