jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What is the best, or easiest, way to remove matting from longer haired dogs, lik

1. lbrummer profile image96
    lbrummerposted 2 years ago

What is the best, or easiest, way to remove matting from longer haired dogs, like a Maltese?

I want to prepare his coat for home cutting with clippers.

2. prettynutjob30 profile image91
    prettynutjob30posted 2 years ago

When we had our Malamute her hair was always matting near her tail. When took a wide tooth comb and slowly combed through the tangles.

1. Jaspal profile image77
      Jaspalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree ... but if it is badly matted, combing can be painful for the dog. You could then use the finger and thumb method to loosen the matting first. As a last resort you may have to cut through really tough matting with a scissors ...

3. apondia profile image60
    apondiaposted 2 years ago

There is a tool called a mat slicer you can buy it is shaped like an L.  The long part is the handle.  The short part is smooth on one side and razor sharp on the other. the tip at the short bottom of the L is pointed and smooth so it will not dig into the dog. You place the tip into the top of the mat next to  the skin and pull downward or out ward away from the body. Use one hand to hold the mat or hair next to the skin so the dog does not feel uncomfortable while you are slicing through the mat.  Mats should always be cut lengthwise.  They will fall apart or tear apart easier if you cut them lengthwise.  Another way is to use an A2 or and A5 Oster clipper with a #10 or #15 blade to completely clip the dog the first time. Clip with the direction the hair is growing.  And, as the hair grows out keep the dog brushed weekly to prevent mats from forming again.  Most mats can be rolled easily away from the skin with a clipper without causing the dog discomfort. Never leave a clipper on the surface of the skin very long as blades become hot and can leave clipper burns.

1. lbrummer profile image96
      lbrummerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If the mat isn't really close to the skin can a clippers be used to cut it, or do all the mats have to be gone before using a clippers?  If so, a mat slicer is probably my best best.
      Thanks for all the answers, I'm trying them all.

2. Kate2468 profile image60
      Kate2468posted 2 years agoin reply to this

If the mat isn't really close to the skin you should try combing it out with a wide tooth mat comb. Yes..you really need to get rid of all the mats or your clippers are going to catch or snag..

3. apondia profile image60
      apondiaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Most mats hang from the skin slightly.  Clipper blades (#15) will lay flat against the skin and slice a mat off approximately 1/8 to 1/4 inch without burning skin.  Also you can see as you are clipping whether the mat is to close to clip with a blade

4. Kate2468 profile image60
    Kate2468posted 2 years ago

I have 3 Shih Tzu's that are always matted..one more than the others. I clip them at home and the best way I found is to cut all the fur first with scissors (complete cut) The mats are much easier to get to..you may have to cut through them with the scissors..or get yourself a pair of 'thinning' shears used by hairdressers. They let you cut into the mat without having to completely clip them down to the skin! Use a wide tooth mat comb to get the mats out once you do this.

working