1,000 Birds Fall from the Sky last night in small area! Weird!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

A small town in Arkansas (Beebe) had a weird event occur last night for New Year's Eve. Estimated 1,000 birds fell from the sky and died.
    Reminds me of a movie I saw once.

Here is where I found the story online. Birds Fall from sky

1. vietnamvet68 profile image60
      vietnamvet68posted 13 years agoin reply to this

your  link is no good, I can't check it out.

2. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=136195
      OK, I posted it this way. Must have done something wrong the first time.

3. HerbalMarvel profile image59
      HerbalMarvelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The BBC have picked it up.  They are reporting it as 3,000 birds that died and are saying that officials are blaming fireworks, though are still looking into it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12105157

2. KristenGrace profile image60
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

Aw, I wanted to see that link, but it won't work for me either!!

I'm not sure which movie you were referencing, but it reminds me of Signs.

3. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Mike, what paper was it in? I'm curious!

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the link. lol, I messed up on the first one.

5. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Google it folks, there are quite a few articles on it. Don't act like you can't read about it if the link isn't provided for you.

1. KristenGrace profile image60
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did google it.

I was only commenting that I wanted to see the link because I wasn't sure if perhaps it was more in depth or a better video than what I've been reading.

It's quite the interesting story.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

The link was provided with a fairly obvious extra character at the end.

The death where alll from one flock of blackbirds in the middle of a storm, so a natural explanation seems quite possible.

I think the extra character showed since I was logged into my account on the KTHV site.

2. HerbalMarvel profile image59

Seems they are blaming fireworks rather than the storm

"Karen Rowe, of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, said the red-winged blackbirds probably flew low to avoid explosions and collided with objects."

7. manlypoetryman profile image80
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

I bet the birds flew through a toxic exhaust plume. A Pollution Exhaust Burst sent out by a nearby refinery or plant that tried to sneak out an extra per cent of their stored chemicals into the air by the end of the year so they wouldn't have to account for it. Probably thought they could sneak it out with distractions of fireworks in the neighborhood. Bet they never get conclusive evidence from any investigation. But that's just my opinion...I've lived near refineries before...and nothing they do surprises me.

Probably caught in a lightning burst. there were storms in the area last night.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what a sad story. I guess they will be able to test and find out if it was trauma or something else? 

makes me think of an old Beatles tune, here's to the blackbirds.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAgceen153I

8. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Sequels are always a failure!!!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4351466_f248.jpg

9. manlypoetryman profile image80

Not fireworks any more...100,000 "drum" species fish found dead in Arkansas...and 500 in Louisiana as of today.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Holy crap it's the end of the world.

1. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
        Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Guess you were right...Now one group is saying that it is coming on May 21, 2011.

Isn't it so exciting?!!!

I'ma get my hair done. For Jesus. wink

2. kirstenblog profile image79
          kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bugger! That's 4 days before my B-day sad

1. CMHypno profile image83
            CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We could have the party early?

1. kirstenblog profile image79

I don't usually have a party so early is just fine by me big_smile
              Maybe my B-day pressie from God will be a little less wrath sent my way wink lol

1. HerbalMarvel profile image59

Couldnt you ask for your pressie to be *NOT* ending the world? wink

Oh I don't know about that, I have been looking forward to the end for some time now, I just wish we could all coordinate it and schedule it for a more convenient time lol

I even got a plan of action, find an angle, guard his back, maybe then he will put in a good word with the head honcho and bob's your uncle I'm chillin in heaven cool

2. profile image52
        peyton218posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i heard may 1st

1. HerbalMarvel profile image59

darn Twitter rumours.  bet someone claiming to have overheard God on a train started it

10. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

So fish and birds are going to be the first victims of the zombie apocalypse?

11. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Zombie fish. Wonder if they make good toothpaste.

Zombie birds are scary.

1. evvy_09 profile image60
      evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully we never find out if they make good toothpaste big_smile
      Birds can be creepy enough, without being zombies.

12. Pandoras Box profile image60

The birds died of blunt force trauma. In mid-air.

No, not hail, angels beat them up.

Apparently fish in Arkansas are naturally given to mass suicide pacts.

13. Pandoras Box profile image60

More dead birds, in Louisiana this time, and Sweden. I get the Louisiana and Arkansas carnages, but Sweden? 
    Looks like blunt force trauma again. The angels must be really peeved!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl … ntral.html

14. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

The poor dead birds have even made it into the British papers!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … siana.html

Hope they find out soon what is killing them all

15. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

http://www.unthinkable.biz/UserFiles/Image/Q22010/Home%20the%20end%20is%20near.jpg

1. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

if the Simpsons think the end is near then it must be true.....

16. Pandoras Box profile image60

It's apparently really quite common, but combine it all with New Year's and it's just an excellent opportunity to scare the fundies.

So I'm in.

17. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

oily cold snap - happens after major oil spills, some say.  sad

18. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

This whole bird thing is fascinating and seriously creepy too, unless it really is a common occurrence. Funnily enough I don't ever remembering reading about this happening in the news?
    Maybe it wasn't newsworthy..

Has anyone at all reading here ever experienced such a thing in their life?

I mean I've heard of plagues of frogs and goodness knows what all getting sucked up into the atmosphere and deposited somewhere else, but birds dropping dead out of the sky?

Now once, but twice within a few days in opposite parts of the world.

Chemtrails anyone?

Chemtrails wouldn't explain the fish. I heard many of the dead fish were found to be without eyes!!!!

BOM! Bom! bom!

No, no, I am certain the sky is falling.

19. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I have seen the report on TV, and if you look at where the birds are, they are confined to a very small area. I would think that this was a flock of birds that ran into something that killed them. I would agree with fireworks being the culprit. Might have even been a freak electrical thing, as those birds like to hang out on power lines in mass numbers.

I was once on a lake with a group of guys, and they dropped an m-80 into the water, and it exploded, and you should have seen all the dead fish that floated to the top of the water from the shock. Some were just knocked out, but most were dead. I thought it was pretty stupid of them to do that. I said, how would you like to have someone drop a bomb on you, just for fun...jerks.

They later set an entire hillside on fire with their stupid m-80s. The fire was headed straight up to one of their houses. We went and got a bunch of wet blankets and laid them in the grass leading up to the house, and the fire died. But, I would think that it burned about 4 acres of brush in like 5 minutes. So, you have to be really careful with that stuff.

Another result of the birds deaths could have been smoke from the fireworks, they might have died from inhaling it.

20. manlypoetryman profile image80

40,000 Dead Crabs Wash Up In Britian...in case any one is not keeping track to date. Now...are "they" going to say that the crabs all had trauma from bumping into one another or that firecrackers did this? Just wondering...because I felt like some previous explanation attempts were a bit preposterous anyways...to begin with.

21. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Media reports about this kind of stuff happening all over the world...

We are all doomed!

And that religious group saying that the end of the world will occur on May 21, 2011. I guess things are starting early.

Doomed I say!

1. manlypoetryman profile image80
      manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Be afraid...Be very afraid!

2. Pandoras Box profile image60

Oh ye of little faith...

Don't you all see that this is a message from God! Every eyeless dead fish, every bird which has fallen from the sky, every single limey crab is a love letter to you from the big man.

Repent!!! For it is not too late! You can still invite Jesus into your hearts, and then you will not be Left Behind!!!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh good, it's before my dental appointment-- I guess I can cancel.

3. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

In marshy areas such as Cheasapeak bay and south Louisiana fish kills are common. Normally it's caused by the rise and fall of the tides. Fish get trapped suddenly in large numbers in small bodies of water. The oxygen level drops and they die.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/u/3995213.jpg

5. stilljustwonderin profile image60
      stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

Thousands of dead turtledoves, with possibly bruised beaks.

I begin to dislike these avenging angels. What wrong have turtledoves ever done?

But Jesus will make them all better when he comes back.

2. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a normal occurrence in the South every autumn. Thousands of doves drop from the sky. Biologists believe the cause to be 12-gauge shotguns and large dove shoots.

lollol
          Well thats what they get paid the big bucks for wink
          Now could a non biologist have figured that out? tongue

2. Pandoras Box profile image60

Okay that's a good one. Blunt force trauma caused by fireworks indeed.

6. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years ago

It's all Global Worming! Greenhouse gases are killing them! Humans are the next! yikes

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ew! Global Worming sounds even worse than global warming. smile

7. Pandoras Box profile image60

We're all gonna get worms!!!!!

Repent!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)