jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

Give us back our antiquities and historic arts.

1. accofranco profile image83
    accofrancoposted 8 years ago

European nations should please comply with the UNESCO convection of 1980 which urges all European nations that have illegally stolen away ancient arts and historic antiques from Africa during colonial years,to return them.UK,Portugal and the Netherlands have partially complied by returning the great Ethiopian art of lion of judah and the Egyptian ancient arts of the great Nile.They should please do more to return those that belongs to Nigeria,it is our national pride,and they exploited them all,together with our cultures,heritages,mineral and forest resources,capable men and women,plz enough is enough,give them back to us please,we are powerless and helpless but one day we shall rise like the flames,overshadowing the world with might...

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Presumably, you will be able to take them back at that time.

2. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Glad to hear the perspective.  This is never talked about much.

2. darkside profile image81
    darksideposted 8 years ago

We don't have many, if any, heads of state reading the HubPages forums. So you may want to print out this request and send it along to the appropriate embassies.

3. RKHenry profile image79
    RKHenryposted 8 years ago

But what about the items in private collections?  Whats to been done about that?

4. AEvans profile image79
    AEvansposted 8 years ago

That could very well be a complicated situation even though it would probably be nice. Greed sets in and the world is not that giving.sad

1. RKHenry profile image79
      RKHenryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your right.  The sad thing most of what he's asking for, is in the hands of private collectors.  I'm sure they aren't about to give away any of their profits.

1. AEvans profile image79
        AEvansposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There you are RK , I am glad to see that you are still here..smile and it is ashame that they will not give them up, as it wasn't theirs to begin with.smile

5. Shalini Kagal profile image78
    Shalini Kagalposted 8 years ago

Maybe we should all stop living in the past and move on? roll

Well, that may work from some, but it is clear that the original poster wants his countries stuff back.  Maybe he doesn't want to move on.  Maybe he's passionate about this and these is his life's work.  I'm passionate about art.  I can understand his position.

6. LondonGirl profile image85
    LondonGirlposted 8 years ago

What sort of things do you have in mind from Nigeria?

7. accofranco profile image83

Londongirl,some memorable sculptures from ancient Benin kingdoms,the Igbo ukwu arts and shrines,great yoruba and hausa arts and gods,many gods,cravens and treasures.Let them return them fast,if we can't boast of any other thing,it is our great arts,sculptures and traditional heritages.They should remember,science started from Egypt,moved to Greek,to Roman etc to Germany and now in Anglo/American,who knows the next? Give them back plz,i need them,my dad was a great politician though he failed to make it to the senate last 2 years,if not he would fought strongly for that.But i will still.....

I hope your efforts bears fruitful results.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

I have a feeling you are wasting your energy here. I would wait until you rise up like the flames overshadowing the world with might. Then you can just force everyone to give back the treasures.

Having said that - LG is a barrister - maybe she will work on commission?

8. accofranco profile image83

Hello Mark,i love your criticisms,it makes me smile and feel more relieved off stress from working on my novel,art and foundation projects.You know what Mark? I like u for something i won't disclose here.Do u care for me to make a wonderful portrate of u with those your glasses on?If u care for it,tell me or contact me personally,so i can tell u how to send me your pictures,but your glasses must be on,plz dnt think thats y i like u.Its a secret bt i can tell u if u wish to knw.Infact hubpages forum is more fun to publishing hubs.Im glad i found this wonderful community to keep me company when im lonely,cos im always a loner anyway.Thanks mark and all of u.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

My pleasure. But lonely and a loner are not necessarily the same thing. smile

Could you explain the other thing again?

working