jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

If I were to start an art gallery, what should I do (or watch out for?)

1. Earl S. Wynn profile image84
    Earl S. Wynnposted 7 years ago

If I were to start an art gallery, what should I do (or watch out for?)

2. softsquatch profile image56
    softsquatchposted 7 years ago

Location, location, location! Unless you plan on supplementing your gallery sales with an online gallery you've got to watch your location. As cool of a space as that nifty corner in the back of an abandoned warehouse maybe be it will not bring in the sales needed to sustain a gallery. Galleries survive on foot traffic. Find that same cool nifty space in an area that already supports the traffic.

3. Faithful Daughter profile image85
    Faithful Daughterposted 7 years ago

This all depends on what type of art gallery you are planning to open. Is it an art gallery with other artist’s artwork or just your own? If you are introducing other artists, you can sell art on consignment and set a commission.

You can rent physical space or sell online

Get county and city licenses

Select the theme or type of art (pottery, paintings, folk art, etc)

Organize and hang artwork

Price your artwork

Try to stay informed of what the customer’s inclination is and be open for critique

Make marketing plans for the gallery

Hold exhibitions or have private parties

Here’s a link that can give you more ideas: http://www.fabjob.com/ArtGalleryOwner.asp

4. DaveL profile image86
    DaveLposted 7 years ago

I've had a similar inkling myself, as I can see a real gap in the market here where I live. Not so much a tip for what to do, but one for where to source work. I've seen and bought some great prints from overseas via eBay and Etsy - everyone I take to the framers they love as they've not seen anything like it. So my tip is, use the internet to source the material to display, and look for the sort of stuff that no one else around you is stocking. If you live in the middle of a traditional small village, then showing the latest shock installation will not go down too well (or sell).