jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is insanity forgiven if it comes with creativity?

1. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

Is insanity forgiven if it comes with creativity?

This question is dirived from Vincent Van Gogh. Who was clearly insane. But is well respected because of his talent and creativity. Is this the norm, or is he an exception to the rule?

2. Green Wasabi profile image73
    Green Wasabiposted 7 years ago

The line between genius and insane is very narrow. It might be because sometimes people with mental disorders are extremely concentrated on one idea. An there is a saying that "genius" constitutes of 10% of talent and 90% of work.
    A lot of famous artists had some "weirdness" that probably allowed them to see what others can't.
    However I think this kind of "insanity" is forgiven until it doesn't harm others.

3. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 7 years ago

I do know insanity is forgiven if it is attached to money.  When poor and insane, we are 'crazy, nuts' all of it.  Rich and insane: then we are 'eccentric' is all.  Just as nuts, different label.

4. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Is insanity something to be forgiven or something to be accepted as an unfortunate part of life?

5. stclairjack profile image81
    stclairjackposted 7 years ago

sane people are borring,.... i'm not borring, and myfriends forgive me when i fly a little too far out.

6. Tirzah Laughs profile image81
    Tirzah Laughsposted 7 years ago

Creativity is often the result of an unusal perspective.  Often those with mental health struggles have a different viewpoint than those considered non-mentally ill.

Van Gogh isn't 'forgiven' for his insanity, it's just a part of who he is.   His art gave him a way to contribute to society or to the race as a whole.   If he were a double amputee, we wouldn't 'forgive' his lack of legs, would we?

His art, his illness are all a part of what makes him, him.

In the modern era, he would have spent his life in and out of mental health hospitals or jail.  He would have been medicated at least once, probably stopping the meds the moment he could to spiral back down into his illness.

Yet I think even in the modern age, he'd still paint.   His art would still be spectacular.   His mental illness would still a problem.

He's all those things and you can't separate the parts.

He can't help being ill.  Therefore there is nothing to forgive.  A kid with seizures doesn't ask you to forgive him the seizure.

Only to give any damage he does if he falls on you during one of them. smile

7. Docmo profile image91
    Docmoposted 7 years ago

I suppose it is to do with the degree of insanity and the output. If 'insanity' produces worthy pieces of art, inventions of great repute, riches beyond dreams .. then so be it.

Anyway, who decides the parameters of 'sanity' ?

What is sane in one part of the world, in one culture, to one group of people can be considered insane in another.

We have all at some stage called someone insane to attempt something that we perceive as crazy... it is all in the eye of the beholder isn't it?

As BobbiRant said so eloquently, you can become 'eccentric' just by being successful!

8. affordableweb profile image61
    affordablewebposted 7 years ago

Who of us has the right to forgive? Are those who forgive prepared to be forgiven?