jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Would you photograph a dead relative?

1. The Ghostwriter profile image74
    The Ghostwriterposted 6 years ago

Wealthy Victorians would often prop up a dead loved one and create a studio type setting for a last photo; this was done particularly with new born babies. Today, you may find a beautifully posed Victorian photograph and not be aware that the subject was dead at the time.

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

No, it seems like a very bizarre custom. I would rather remember them alive and...warm.

3. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 6 years ago

Oh god, no never. It might have been the custom back in the day but I think it would unacceptable and disrespectful to photograph a dead person nowadays. Like duffsmom said, I'd rather remember my relative when they were alive.

4. TimeToGoBeyond profile image58
    TimeToGoBeyondposted 6 years ago

Ughhhh hell no, that is wrong in so many ways

5. Fotographer profile image55
    Fotographerposted 6 years ago

I would never want to photograph a dead relative.

6. breathing profile image58
    breathingposted 6 years ago

No, I do not want to. But, I think he has to do it, who is a photographer and that is his only job.

7. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

I always thought the "book of the dead" customs then were odd - but by the standards of many other countries what we do with our dead now is equally odd.   

Most places find it strange the way we embalm bodies so heavily just to put them into the ground - in a coffin and cement vault no less.  It's as if we are trying to protect them from the natural decomposition etc that comes with death - as we quote the "ashes to ashes" no less wink

Perhaps in both strange rituals we are simply trying to defy death somehow...

I personally have no problem with death.  I accept it as a part of life, but I think I would rather have photos of my loved ones while they were alive.  In my opinion, once the vessel of the body isn't needed anymore there is no attachment to it because the spirit is free to do whatever.

I've always found the different customs and rituals surrounding death to be very intriguing.  I was also born on Halloween and I tease my family all the time that I want to be cremated and have my urn placed out on the mantle for halloween so I can still scare people wink

8. Michael Conley profile image59
    Michael Conleyposted 6 years ago

I have had to do this for my grandmother when her mom my great grandmother passed. As odd as it seem's she looked like she was sleeping and at piece. I don't remember her face anymore so every now and then when I am at my grandmothers I will look at the picture so I can remember.

9. maryanne56 profile image57
    maryanne56posted 6 years ago

Sorry i cant do this . because it will be very painful for me

10. twilanelson profile image60
    twilanelsonposted 6 years ago

I have never had a portrait taken of a dead loved one, although we did take photos of my father during his funeral as well as the entire setting, flowers, all family and friends, ministers and the Military Flag Ceremony.

working