jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you respond when someone states 'I wish I could do that.'?

1. Nancy B. profile image71
    Nancy B.posted 6 years ago

How do you respond when someone states 'I wish I could do that.'?

I was showing a sweater I had made to my knitting group and while speaking on the type of yarn and construction methods used I was interrupted by another member, who crochets, with 'I wish I could knit things like that.' This happens whenever a member of the group shows a completed item that is knit. Offers have been made to teach her how to knit.

2. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 6 years ago

I would do nothing unless this member of your group gets serious and appears with knitting needles and yarn--pushing one of you or more of you to show her how to knit NOW.  I belong to spinning and weaving groups with members into the craft for as long as 25 years.  I just got started, and I've been the one to say, "I wish I could spin/weave like that."  It can be overwhelming to be surrounded by people who can show off their work.  But, I don't do anything other than beginning stuff I can handle because these women know that writing is my #1 passion.  Everything else takes a backseat.  Whene er she says something like this, take it as a compliment.  Or at least until she gets serious about wanting to learn how to knit--then you can teach her.  Until then, don't make her a project and push her to learn.  At this point, she is simply admiring the finished work.

3. JEDIJESSICUH profile image77
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

If they were really serious about what they wish they could do like me, then I would attempt to help them. Otherwise, I'd smile graciously and take it as a compliment.

4. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 6 years ago

In that particular instance, I'd say, "It's easy! Just learn the basic stitches, then practice for X years."

In most instances, I just don my best innocent look and say, "Why can't you?" Which may be followed by, "How long have you tried?" I do beaded micro-macrame and also sculpt OOAK art dolls, and people are always telling me this...or the, "I'd love to do that stuff, but I don't have the time." I think it's complete horse...cookies...and usually tell them so in only a slightly nicer way. You can find time for whatever is important to you -- this is what I do in lieu of watching TV (or while I'm watching a movie) and I don't waste my time gaming online, I don't spend countless hours with friends, and I have an intense aversion to spending time on the phone unless there is a very definite goal for the phone call.

5. Loi-Renee profile image84
    Loi-Reneeposted 6 years ago

When people say that to me I sometimes say "Really? Its pretty easy. Give it a try and if you need some help I'll be glad to give you a hand." They hardly ever make a comment like that again.

working