jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What would you do to make changes and "let your freak flag fly" in life's later

1. K9keystrokes profile image91
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

What would you do to make changes and "let your freak flag fly" in life's later years?

2. mjlax profile image36
    mjlaxposted 6 years ago

That's a great question!
    We're living in an era where opportunity to make real changes exist like never before. Unemployment is high, people are losing their homes, jobs are paying less and employers are requiring more.
    It's a perfect time to make changes if you want to control your destiny.
    In my opinion, the first thing that needs to be changed is a person's mind.
    Generally speaking, the majority of people concern themselves with 'how will others perceive them' if they wave the flag. For me it was the realization that. . . your family, neighbors and co-workers don't live your life. . .you live your life.
    The second step is to find a quiet place and write down everything that your prepared to lose or could lose if you follow your dream. This list will give you insight to help make the necessary changes.
    The third step is to make sure you're goals are realistic. Look inside yourself and see if you have the ability to run this race.
    If you do, run it. . .don't be afraid to fail. . .don't look back. Follow your passion and work toward your goals.
    I read a story, just last week about a 61 year old man, who went back to college and is playing football, as a kicker for the team. To me this guy is a hero.

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Why waste all that time waiting until later?

People thought I was crazy about five years ago when I said I was going to give up having a day job and write online.  I had a savings account I'd built up to sustain me, and the only goal was to make the online writing pay before the savings ran out.

I gave up having a cell phone, a television and a car, and stopped eating out to save money.  Now I get to not punch a clock, not have a dress code, and I travel a couple times per year as well.

4. Tlc Artchick profile image57
    Tlc Artchickposted 6 years ago

I have been raising my freak flag little by little since about age 35...  ...Now, at 48 it seems as if I'm at a critical crossroads in my life, and I know I'm supposed to be here.
    My dream to be a traveling artist will have to wait until my 10 yr. old grows up..but the artist is thriving nonetheless.  I challenged myself to create enough complete works to have my own booth at the local art show...just for a start...and I'm about there!  I finally got my degree, let my hair grow, and feel sexier and more alive than I ever have!   

I also notice that, as I get older, I care less and less about what others think of me.  I tend to follow my own drum more now, while still being a contributing member of society, of course!

5. saxrunner profile image84
    saxrunnerposted 6 years ago

Wear a lot less clothing, a lot more often...

working