jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you believe graffiti is art or is it vandalism?

1. JosieLee profile image76
    JosieLeeposted 6 years ago

Do you believe graffiti is art or is it vandalism?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5991954_f260.jpg

2. gjfalcone profile image78
    gjfalconeposted 6 years ago

If it enhances the beauty of a otherwise mundane structure as pictured above, sure. If I choose to spraypaint my name on the walls of the Grand Canyon,No; regardless of the social statement intended, which is a vital element when discerning the question of art or vandalism.

3. brielise profile image59
    brieliseposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on the context of the graffiti. Like gjfalcone said, if it enhances the structure and is visually enticing then yes, it is most likely art. If I'm driving down the highway and there's some random writing ("don't give up" written sloppily on a bridge somehow sticks in my mind) then no matter what it says, it is vandalism. I think it also depends where it is. The building in the photo looks abandoned or blah - perhaps the graffiti was even sponsored graffiti. The city where I lived sponsored local students to basically do graffiti on a parking garage. If these students had gone a block down to the historical market house and done the exact same thing without permission, then it would be a different story.

4. smzclark profile image61
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

Sometimes art and sometimes graffiti. The picture you show above I would call art. Whereas writing, 'I love Ryan' in permanent marker in a cubicle I would consider grafitti

5. Sheila Lee profile image59
    Sheila Leeposted 6 years ago

I think it all depends on what it is. The above pic I would call art. It enhances its surroundings. But just tagging something is definitely graffiti.

6. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Is one separate from the other,  Yes, it is vandalism to paint, without permission, over another person's property; however, that doesn't stop the work being art.

7. Godzangel profile image60
    Godzangelposted 6 years ago

It's art if it's tasteful original and if you get permission to use whatever property.  It is vandalism when you are not permitted and do it anyway. People should do more graffiti on cars and motorcycles that'd be tight!

working