jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you put an artist portfolio together?

1. Robie Benve profile image98
    Robie Benveposted 6 years ago

How do you put an artist portfolio together?

What kind of characteristics in the portfolio presentation are galleries looking for?

2. flashmakeit profile image68
    flashmakeitposted 6 years ago

Make sure you use a good camera to photograph your artwork and choose your best artwork. Buy an artist portfolio.  It would to a good idea to have a cd with a slide show of your master pieces.  I would think that you would ask someone who is in charge of the gallery what they require an artist to submit. Here is a link to help you.  http://www.ehow.com/how_4687792_artist-portfolio.html

3. coasthoosier profile image62
    coasthoosierposted 6 years ago

Every gallery is different of course,...... however, consistancy in style and quality are two important factors. The ability of the artist to discuss the art can also be very important to many gallery owners.

4. penofone profile image60
    penofoneposted 6 years ago

Enlarged photos are key to presenting in a good gallery, try to publish your work thoroughly enough that you have at least 3 or 4 best paintings and a few others to back it up. Don't use a slideshow if I were you I think its better to just put it in a binder.  There is another trick to doing it.... if you just place your best photos scattered throughout the binder take the best one and put it in the back ....if you know what I mean they definitely look for presentation skills! Try taking the photos of your paintings in the sunlight for "best exposure", it is not the color necessarily that comes through but the details of getting towards your goal of putting it in a gallery. Always use the paint on the edges of your paintings to come through in the pictures, very important!
    Good Luck,