jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Which do prefer? Photography or paintings?

1. StaceytheWanderer profile image75
    StaceytheWandererposted 5 years ago

Which do prefer? Photography or paintings?

I'm more drawn to photography but I do very much like the occasional watercolor.

2. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

If I am going to purchase something to hang on my wall, it will mostlikely be a painting. I adore wonderful art that inspires.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image88
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

To paint one has to have some talent and certain skills and not everyone does, including me. To photograph the talent mostly rests on how you see things.
    A photograph shows things as they are, albeit you decide how to frame the scene and how to show it. A painting is also how you see things but also heavily dependent in how you are able to transmit your vision onto a canvas etc.

Both mediums are similar yet different. It mostly depends on how you want others to "see" what you "see".

4. leroy64 profile image84
    leroy64posted 5 years ago

I personally see the choices listed as two completely different disciplines.  I have been moved by both mediums.  Photography, at least the artists I have seen, tends to be less intellectual in nature and more connected to life.  I guess I would go with photography, but the difference is too slight to matter.

5. profile image56
    kumar24894posted 5 years ago

I too love photography more. Clicking unique and different types of images, clicking the natural life, I just love it!

6. Spitfire07 profile image79
    Spitfire07posted 5 years ago

I wish I could paint but just don't have the talent. I prefer digital photography because I can take pictures that I am satisfied with. I haven't really gotten into the world of post processing either.

7. Dantex460 profile image60
    Dantex460posted 5 years ago

I don't really even consider photography as 'art' it feels like cheating to me anyone can take a picture it takes skill to paint.

8. StaceytheWanderer profile image75
    StaceytheWandererposted 5 years ago

All of the answers were great. I especially like how much depth there is to most answers.

9. photostudiosupply profile image61
    photostudiosupplyposted 5 years ago

For decoration, I'd prefer painting. But for passion, I'll go for photography.

10. Rosana Modugno profile image84
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

I do both but painting is a love, where photography is a hobby.  When I paint, the ideas come from my imagination.  When I take a photo, I get creative but I am working with a piece that's already been created for me, so to me, the work is never really my own.

11. amitchhabra profile image60
    amitchhabraposted 3 years ago

Paintings to decorate as an art from - photography as a passion

working