jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)

When crocheting do you hold the hook like a pencil or a knife?

1. Mama Kim 8 profile image92
    Mama Kim 8posted 5 years ago

When crocheting do you hold the hook like a pencil or a knife?

2. dezalyx profile image96
    dezalyxposted 5 years ago

I prefer to hold it like a pencil. Having zero experience cooking, I'm just used to holding pens over knives.

3. kat_thurston profile image61
    kat_thurstonposted 5 years ago

hmm I've never really thought about before but I guess when I am crocheting I tend to switch from holding it like a knife to holding it like a pencil. Don't know why just always have done it that way.

4. Katiadejuan profile image76
    Katiadejuanposted 5 years ago

Usually I hold it like a knife, but some other times I found myself holding it like a pencil. I think it depends of the work I am doing at that moment.

5. joanwz profile image75
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

I usually hold it like a kinfe because it's more comfortable for my hand.

6. Wonder wool profile image82
    Wonder woolposted 5 years ago

I usually hold it like a pencil, but it really depends on the stitch and how my fingers feel comfortable with.

7. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 5 years ago

I use the pencil technique. It just works out easier for me.

8. melbelle profile image61
    melbelleposted 5 years ago

I hold mine like a knife, because it is not only more comfortable but the hook doesn't seem to slip as much.  I have asked other people who crochet, and one person who took lessons said that her instructor told her that the correct way can be the pencil way or the knife way -- it is the preference of the person crocheting.

1. Mama Kim 8 profile image92
      Mama Kim 8posted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is absolutely correct... How you go about making stitches is entirely up to your comfort.. how you hold the hook or yarn is of no consequence. I hold it like a knife and find it funny when people tell me I'm not doing it right.

9. Shastinamarie profile image60
    Shastinamarieposted 5 years ago

When I was first taught to crochet my grandma told me to hold the hook watever way feels comfortable!

10. Sharkye11 profile image94
    Sharkye11posted 5 years ago

I was taught to hold it like a pencil. All the older ladies that I knew crocheted that way, as did my mother, and always held their fingers curled out very gracefully while making the stitches. Not only were the crocheted items beautiful, but they made the act of crocheting lovely as well.

11. profile image55
    mouse7i7posted 4 years ago

I hold mine like a handle. I've been told I don't hold my hook like other people.

working