jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you teach your child to hold a pen or pencil correctly?

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image98
    Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years ago

How do you teach your child to hold a pen or pencil correctly?

My daughter is holding it semi-correctly, and I've placed the pen in her hand correctly but she can't replicate it.

2. Tusitala Tom profile image63
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

Maybe you're trying at too early an age.   Anyway, is there really a 'correct' way to hold a pen?   

I can recall the trauma of fellow class mates long, long ago in the U.K. when they used to get a wrap over the knuckles for being left handed.   Such standardization trauma probably left a mark that stayed with them for life.

Give her time.  She'll find the most efficient and comfortable way of handwriting.   And as for drawing - artists hold their pencils, and brushes in a different way altogether.

3. Joyette  Fabien profile image90
    Joyette Fabienposted 5 years ago

I am smiling and asking myself what is the correct way to hold a pen! Is there a correct way? For me, the correct way is the way which you find most comfortable and effective for you. I am fifty two and for my entire life I have been told that I hold my pen funny. So what! I write like the wind and my handwriting is fine! I have two daughters who also have their own style of holding their pen, but this has not been an impediment to them in any way. My advise is just leave her alone and she will find  her own right way.

4. breathing profile image63
    breathingposted 2 years ago

I can suggest the option for pencils. Yeah there are tons of different suggestions made by people. But here I’ll discuss only a few that seems quite appropriate tome. Hopefully following these tips will help you to make your child hold at least the pencil in the correct manner.

1. Start with shorter pencils. Because with shorter pencils, there will be lesser space for cramming fingers unnecessarily. Thus the child will be forced to pinch with the help of index finger and thumb. That’s why you will find many hand writing teaching workshops have collection of short pencils of their own brand. 

2.  All the children are not the same. If the short pencil trick is not that much effective, don’t panic. Just use the pinch & flip method. Just tell them to pinch the pencil’s sharpened end and eventually flip it around till it is rested gently between the soft skins of index finger and thumb.

3. There is another way if the first 2 tricks fail. Just make them try so that they can hide something under the ring and pinky finger. These two fingers will bend towards the thumb while the other fingers and thumb will do the work. You can start with cotton ball, marble, bread etc.

working