jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How can you become more visually oriented?

1. Marc Rohde profile image71
    Marc Rohdeposted 5 years ago

How can you become more visually oriented?

I am not naturally visually oriented and typically use numbers and words to express my ideas.  While this is great for some purposes I realize a picture sometimes says more.  I think this skill could improve my ability to present, especially to those who learn better through pictures and examples.

2. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

If you are a teacher or facilitator it's a good idea to explore and experiment with visuals/images as sometimes these can produce surprisingly good learning results, especially if combined with sound/expressive arts such as drama or role play.

Perhaps if you're a little nervous about introducing visuals you could try a gradual approach. Start off with your usual numbers and words and then slip in an image which enhances your theme or idea. It might be a photograph or a painting for example. Hold it up, pass it around, put it on display. Try and gauge the interest/impact.
    For some people visuals work much better. I sometimes teach autistic young adults and there's no doubt that often concepts they find difficult to grasp through word and number are better understood via simple images.

High tech can also help - powerpoint and such like- which allows you to combine image and word. Best of luck in your new venture!!

1. Marc Rohde profile image71
      Marc Rohdeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm actullay in a managment position and my powerpoints are usually wordy.  smile  I'm trying to break the habit because I realize the presentation style can be improved upon.  Your suggestions are great and I will experiment

3. Amber Vyn profile image61
    Amber Vynposted 5 years ago

I agree with chef-de-jour. Also, I empathize with you. I'm an audial/kinesthetic person, so it's hard for me to understand how people can be so emotionally moved by images. Visual people are the majority, though.

While we can't change our orientation, we can work to develop our 'eye' for the visual.

It will definitely improve your presentations to include more visuals, even if it's just using varying backgrounds and text colors. Visually-oriented people will pay more attention to (and remember) the visuals more than the words themselves.