At what point does flirting become more than just flirting?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (25 posts)
  1. cjcarter profile image72
    cjcarterposted 13 years ago

At what point does flirting become more than just flirting?

2. livingsimply profile image61
    livingsimplyposted 13 years ago

I guess this can only relate to the physical.  If we are just flirting we are using our eyes, voices and perhaps the slighest of touches.  Once we go beyond that it becomes something else.  I believe all humans flirt, but some are better at it than others.  There is a line though and if we cross it we start a pyhsical relationship.

3. Matt in Jax profile image59
    Matt in Jaxposted 13 years ago

I am most definitely a major flirt. Something well-known to the male side of my family. I don't think the significant women in my life ever read too much into it because they just know how I am. I see it more as general conversation and the occasional joke.
    Nothing should be read into it unless it becomes a physical relationship or if he and she see eachother more than just the "every now and again." Something could then be up to no good.

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 13 years ago

"Flirting" is nothing more than (testing the waters) to see if there is a chance something could develop. If you are ignored or shot down you can always chaulk it up as "playing'.
    "I can't believe you thought I was serious!" ha ha ha

Flirting becomes something more when the other person "flirts" back. It's as though they're saying, "I'm game. let's play or have some fun together."
    And before you know it you're saying things like, "We didn't plan this" or  "One thing led to another "
    One day you find yourselves goofing off with each other or laughing about something and your eyes connect. Someone leans in for a kiss....etc

5. JayDee Sterling profile image59
    JayDee Sterlingposted 13 years ago

I agree with some of the other comments, but at the same time, why even bother to flirt if that is all that is intended?  Flirting typically is an indicator that the desire or ultimate goal goes much further than just in the eye or the mind, the attitude is what is key.  Intention is the door.  Flirting is the intiation of intention.

6. danthehandyman profile image70
    danthehandymanposted 13 years ago

You’ve received some great answers, and I’m not sure I can add much, but I don’t believe flirting is always ‘testing the waters’ for a love affair. It can also be an acknowledgement or acceptance of friendship or just a compliment. An innocent flirter may just be attempting to make the flirtee (is that a word?) feel good, and it is often only that.
    Obviously you would not flirt with someone you didn’t like and think attractive. Flirting will be taken as an insult if you are ingenuous. You wouldn’t ‘test the waters’ with the ugly or stupid guy/girl in the room (unless you’re desperate). That’s what makes flirting a compliment.
    When the flirter and flirtee exceed the friendship/compliment line, it crosses the plutonic barrier. If you can’t define that line for both yourself and your flirtee, it is best to not flirt at all, unless you actually are ‘testing the waters’.
    It crosses the line from innocence the moment the flirter clearly understands he/she is attracted beyond friendship and continues flirting. That is the definition of ‘testing the waters’. If both you and your flirtee are single and uncommitted, there is nothing wrong with that, and hopefully the water’s warm.
    There are two places all flirting is inappropriate, at work and anywhere your better half is present. Innocent or not, it will assuredly lead to problems, with one exception. A salesperson will sometimes flirt with a prospect to maintain interest in the proposal. Usually it is clearly understood as a gesture, and is not a serious attempt to ‘test the waters’, although I know of many instances where the technique hugely backfired. Even trained salespeople can’t always define the line correctly. Sex sells, but not always.
    Flirting is an American pastime. There should be an organized National Association of Flirters (NAF) with contests, trophies, and huge audiences. Opps, except for the organizational name, there already is one, the local singles bar.

7. eneueneu profile image58
    eneueneuposted 13 years ago

At the point when you stop looking and start touching

8. Diodrin profile image59
    Diodrinposted 13 years ago

If you have to ask yourself whether or not you're just flirting, then you've past the point.

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 13 years ago

Don't know how most people feel, but in general from my experience and that of my friends both male and female, flirting is mostly a friendly way of complimenting each other and its natural. If there is a stronger attraction, and this usually becomes the case the longer that flirting goes on, then the possibility is greater for flirting to become something else.

10. Niki Hampton profile image59
    Niki Hamptonposted 13 years ago

When action and intent is behind it. And I have to say in contrast to some of the answers- primarily don't flirt in front of your better half- I believe that is wrong. My husband and I don't flirt. It's disrespectful. Besides I am in love with him and I don't notice other men. It's one of the benefits of being in love- the need to flirt is removed.

11. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 13 years ago

Being a teenage boy I think it becomes 'more than flirting' when one falls for another. The ways I notice this is: instead of the girl trying to be funny by perhaps taking jibes against things I dislike (i.e. my hairs too messy, she'll call me ugly) she will start being nice & cute, trying her hardest not to upset or annoy me.

Having a laugh with each other > Being nice on an almost unnecessary bases.

My personal view, I'm no expert at relationships.

12. Zainejaz profile image60
    Zainejazposted 13 years ago

Intense Feelings
    The key emotions that are involved in flirting are light heartedness and a nice feeling. Two people who are on a flirting level have an unsaid connection between them. These unsaid emotional strings build a friendly feeling between them. But if you feel that your partner’s emotions are more deep and intense than usual then it’s an indication of romance relationship on the bloom.

More than Just a Friend
    Flirting relationship is generally on a friendly level. You enjoy drinks together, hang out and simply have fun. But suddenly if your partner starts holding your hand all the time or moves her fingers along you leg then it is a bit more than just flirting. If your partner’s action becomes serious and very much obvious then you have a lover standing in front of you.

Eye Contact
    Eye contact speaks more than a thousand words. When you are in a general kind of relationship the eye contact shared between two persons is not deep and intense. You chat casually and have a casual and broken eye contact with the person you are talking to. But if your partner is giving you a deep and long eye contact then there are feelings behind those eyes. Another hint that your relationship is much more than flirting is that she looks intensely at your body language. There is a feeling of  closeness as you talk. Whether these actions are done on a conscious level or an unconscious level there is love definitely around the corner.

Flirtation is always fun and enjoying. It just comes and goes with time. Since there are generally no deep emotional connection and feelings involved in flirting it comes and goes with time. However if the two of you are flirting for quite some time now, then it can’t any longer be defined as simple flirtation. Maybe you both have deeper feelings attached. So you can look back at how these feelings have evolved and what is the current stand of your relationship. If one of you still wants to linger on with flirting then probably you are unclear about your emotions and want more time. Give it a thought and then decide, do you want to flirt more.

_____
    http://www.lovecarnival.com/flirting/re … rting.html

13. JoanneDoubtfire profile image67
    JoanneDoubtfireposted 13 years ago

I believe it's when you initiate action. You can flirt with somebody as much as you like but as soon as you or they hint that something is actually going to happen it becomes something more.

14. JMHeller profile image63
    JMHellerposted 13 years ago

Your question reminded me of the movie Anger Management.

"Flirting is cheating's ugly cousin" Jack Nicholson

15. 1lovejojo profile image59
    1lovejojoposted 13 years ago

Depends on what kind of flirting,some flirting can lead to teasing or kissing or physical contacts but as well as holding hands.

16. iamsuper profile image60
    iamsuperposted 13 years ago

when I get what I want why I should do it

17. carolp profile image78
    carolpposted 13 years ago

the moment you know her/his name and start dating.

18. chloe's hub profile image60
    chloe's hubposted 13 years ago

it is more than flirting if actions are taking into place.... it is beyond imagination...

19. ravenlt04 profile image60
    ravenlt04posted 13 years ago

when you are doing things against your spouse's or significant other's wishes and when feelings get involved

20. profile image50
    privic4ruleposted 13 years ago

friting can become more than what you call it when it exceed the very first plan you had in mind, and beyond what you could call fun.

21. stricktlydating profile image84
    stricktlydatingposted 13 years ago

When you make arrangements, swap numbers or have physical contact.

22. selfdefenselesson profile image61
    selfdefenselessonposted 12 years ago

When things get sexual. Anything up to this point might as well be flirting.

23. felicitylovespari profile image40
    felicitylovespariposted 12 years ago

When there is an emotional involvement and when you find yourself always looking for that person

24. starsweightloss profile image40
    starsweightlossposted 7 years ago

When some asks the person to go out on a date or if they exchange telephone numbers.

25. marsona profile image60
    marsonaposted 7 years ago

Well i think most, if not all of those love stories, began in "flirting". You knew it yourself that you are not playing the game right when you are not playing it dirty anymore.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)