jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Which glaze do you use on your polymer clay projects and why?

1. talfonso profile image81
    talfonsoposted 5 years ago

Which glaze do you use on your polymer clay projects and why?

I just bought some Varathane (Water-based in gloss) and glazed my pendants and beads with it . I was so amazed at how they turned out after one thin coat. I'm letting my 3rd coat dry right now. The advantages of it are numerous - for the cost per ounce as opposed to the Sculpey glaze to the UV-resistance.

So what do you use to glaze your creations? What experiences do you have with it?

2. leilabarda profile image60
    leilabardaposted 5 years ago

HI! I'm using two kind of glaze. I used sculpey for the clay jewelry that I made and a local branded glaze which I used for the souvenirs. But both has same effect and last longer and prevent the items from getting dirt. For sculpey I used single coat only  while for the local brand I use double coat.

1. talfonso profile image81
      talfonsoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How neat - using one brand of glaze then another really helps makes the latter stick. What is the name of the of glaze you use besides the Sclupey and what type (gloss, semi-gloss, or satin)?

2. leilabarda profile image60
      leilabardaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

actually I am not familiar with the brand. my cousin from NY is the one buying the glaze for me. It has two type, one is glossy and the other one is matte or satin. I usually use the glossy type for miniature food and matte for chibi dolls.

3. talfonso profile image81
      talfonsoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's OK. I'm happy that the Varathane worked for me. It gives a glass-like shine and it protects the clay!

4. leilabarda profile image60
      leilabardaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

is that the brand of glaze that you use. I will try to ask my cousin for the actual brand and keep you posted on it/. thanks!

3. yaen profile image60
    yaenposted 4 years ago

Hi!
    So for glaze, I started out by using mod podge, but I didn't like it because it kept peeling off.
    So what I did is I put a thin coat of mod podge on my creation first, and then I used duraclear, which my friend recommended to me, over the layer of modpodge to keep it from peeling off.
    Sometimes, for extra shine, I use holloway house floor finish as my last layer.

working