jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Can a blind man be a photographer?

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 4 years ago

Can a blind man be a photographer?

How do the blind make use cameras?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7866051_f260.jpg

2. alancaster149 profile image84
    alancaster149posted 4 years ago

I daresay a blind person could take a picture with a camera of any type - phone camera, SLR, Bolex or even plate camera - with assistance. What would be missing? He/She may not be able to appreciate any creations, whether good or mediocre, and might not know without assistance where his/her optimum view would be. He would have to rely on the judgement of an assistant.
    There are technological developments to help the blind to 'see', but the prototype and early production equipment would be out of reach for many in terms of cost. When readily available - look at the production of early mobile/cellphones, computers, colour TV sets and cameras, as they became widely marketed prices went down dramatically - then anyone could be a budding David Bailey or Terry Donovan, sightless or partially sighted.
    Hang on in there!

1. alancaster149 profile image84
      alancaster149posted 4 years agoin reply to this

On further thought, it might be easier for someone who had previously been 'sighted'. They would know what things looked like before going blind, whereas someone who'd never seen would find things harder. Electronic aids may help these people more.

3. WittyWeddings profile image72
    WittyWeddingsposted 4 years ago

I've never actually really thought that much about it but I imagine so. They wouldn't be able to appreciate their art work but I imagine they could take photos off there sense of the world they have around them.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Anyone with hands can snap a picture. However not everyone has an "eye for detail". A blind person would require the assistance of someone with sight to set up everything. The photographer could give instructions of where they want things placed. If she or he ever had vision in the past they could also request certain colors be used.

working